I have just completed my solo and ended up doing something I REALLY did not want to do - a comedy character piece. Now, not everyone got it and some people disliked it immensely, and then there was the other half who dug it, but the point is that I actually had strong working questions that helped me succeed as an actor striving for something. I want to play with form, with a relationship with audience, and examine my purpose for working. Rhonda was a lady who after a long period of dislike and lack of belief, I enjoyed playing. When I didn't enjoy her she fell flat on her little face.
Tonight I went to see the 2nd years do their Shakespeare A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM which gave me the desperate urge to sink my teeth into a classic. See, since solos, I have been part of an exciting new production called Bedlam, which I'm playing a 50 year old man from North-Hampshire/Yorkshire/don't know accent yet, and been having a tough time carrying my questions into the work. What I am doing is completely surface at present and what I was fighting against in my heavily dialogued, verging on bouffon/caricature solo.
So anyway, I need to continue the work on finding the real in the not so real. Endeavouring to let the audience dream around me, and believe for the couple of hours of play that I am a 50 year old English man. Oh acting.
No comments:
Post a Comment