Friday, September 2, 2011

A little wrapup....

A little wrap up.

I’m on the plane back home and musing about the last 3 months which have just flown by. It might seem idiotic – because I know the realities of flying overseas to fix things/relax/rejuvenate are… well, unrealistic. But it happened. It worked for me. I needed this trip. I have learnt more than I did last time in a sense. I feel I have grown up somewhat. Yerk – 26 and growing up. And if I do want to come back, I need to make it happen and make a situation that I can work and live in. Because as terrific as saving, fundraising etc is a couple of times – it’s wearing thin and I have a brilliant career to think of. Also, I can't always rely on the kindness of others. But ta very much all the same!

Anyhow, after getting back from NYC, I had a couple of days in LA, getting back into the swing of classes. (I have decided to write about the classes in a separate section) Jess and I took a wee trip out to Venice beach where the tune from Baywatch has been stuck In my head ever since. Venice was a mecca of beach babes and muscle ripped men. And all seemingly stuck in Baywatch style getup. Quite, quite hilarious. We watched street performers, held onto our bags for dear life (Jess had been pick pocketed there the week before) and met up with the curious Rose McIver and her lovely boyfriend Ben. I wish I could say I threw myself into the salty ocean, but I’d just had a budget bikini wax at a dodgy Vietnamese salon. The woman was the loveliest creature but I ended up with a horrific rash that was unsightly. TMI? Don’t care!

That night, we did something – but for the life of me – I can’t remember what it was…. I’ll paste it in later.

That Friday I decided to drive up to San Diego in Charlotte’s flash 2011 Prius and see my good mate Kurtis (On this trip I’ve got to know his Mom heaps better – Aunt Susie – and his brother Chris and sister Mary. They have to be THE coolest family unit of good, generous, funny, artistic people I know… My own excepted) Anyway – after I got over the horror of the freeway – again thanks to my good friend Sherry the GPS system. I had a beautiful drive up to the picturesque, delightful, charming San Diego. I actually felt like it was like an American version of the Island of Spetses – had that kind of ‘local’ feel to it.

I drove to Kurty’s place and he took me out for lunch to a super little Kiwi pub! Hilarious – in the heart of San D there’s true blue Fush’n’chups, pies, NZ beer, etc. We musta been there for hours. I hadn’t seen the guy in a year, and it was like with Alex, we picked up where we left off and amused, questioned and inspired each other. I am very very lucky with my set of friends.

We wombled down the beach, out to the famous pier (where one can stay in a cute little motel for a small price) and then went back to his place and met his flatmates. I was going to stay, head to a party etc – but I had to pick up Charlotte from the airport. I was sad to go – it was a couple of hours away – so I knew it’d probably be a year before I saw Kurtis again. Well, at least a few months…! Hahah.

The drive back was horocious. Long. Traffic. And to make matters worse – Charlotte’s flight which was meant to get in at 745pm – let everyone off the plane around 915. I was NOT impressed. At all.

When she did get in, we went to the fabulous Real Food Daily and got spoiled with the vegan feast. On Saturday Charlotte and I hung out, then I went and met Veronica at the Hollywood Cemetery for PSYCHO. It is such a weird, genius community event. Hundreds line up for tickets, you take a picnic in. Wine. Cheese. And you sit on the grass surrounded by people who love the movies, love the atmosphere . I waited for Vee for sometime, and sooooo good to hang out. Another friend who just gets me and I get her. And she HATES living in the States but she is very much in love and very happy with her boyfriend Jake. Says he’s ‘the one’ – I, in turn, am extremely happy for her. Couldn’t happen to a nicer girl. She is also one of the funniest creatures I know. Her commentary throughout the film was almost better than the film itself.

A little worse for wear on the Sunday - as Vee and I had knocked back the vinos at Psycho, Charlotte and I celebrated the first part of her birthday at Bob's Big Boy - secretly her favourite restaurant. Eggs and more eggs and coffee were called for and then I had to do an epic 5 hour class before the piece de resistance of dinner at.... THE IVY! Ooh lala! And I got to say, that was one of the best dinner experiences ever. Charlotte's grandad was shouting dinner for her 29th and thank the Lord, because I could've barely afforded a glass of water at this place. We had famous vodka gimlets and strawberry bellinis, we had a lovely server in a pink shirt and floral tie, we had Gene Simmonds come in at the end and try and look incongruous, and I had THE best striped bass with pureed cauli and squash and spinach. Oh my. I even got dessert, which I couldn't finish. Profiteroles with three different ice creams, homemade pistachio, praline and caramel. No wonder this is one of the best places to eat in LA. No wonder it's so famous. No detail goes un-noticed and yet it wasn't made to feel like you weren't welcome - you know, at a really rich persons place. We had a delightful evening, Charlotte: amused by my incredulous excitement, me: incredulous and excited. We had arranged to meet Ben and Jess at Cabo Cantina on Hollywood Boulevard for drinks. So onwards we went, where watermelon, peach and lychee margaritas were awaiting us. And boy did we get sloshed. Completely unintentional. And not since I was about 15 and being a try hard have I had such a vomitous reaction to alcohol. Was not one of my finest moments... I started out the evening pure class and ended it with my head in the toilet bowl of Charlotte's new apartment. (In my defense this final weekend was the only real going out times in LA... oh that was weak) But we all had a good, fun night.

Monday could've been worse. I mostly ran errands for Charlotte - I got in a rage waiting for her car to get fixed and walked 45minutes in 93 degree heat to Universal city and got numerous cold waters and iced coffees there. Then I met up with Jess, Ben, Rose and other Ben and we lay by the pool for hours, had a quick bite at the infamous Smoke House, whose clientele was more geriatric than celebrity, and I leapt off to my last class - where I had my orientation lecture (3 weeks late!) but it all came together for me there. I understand the teaching a lot more now. I feckin' well wanted to stay on. Lots more to get out of that class I believe.

TUES – On Tuesday I FINALLY bit the bullet and went to the Getty Museum. Absolutely gorgeous. A must see for anyone hitting Los Angeles. You drive for ages to get there, then pay $15 bucks to park. I was terrified the entry fee was going to be hideous (I was pinching my pennies HARD at this point) and then was delighted to find the fee was in the carparking fee. Actually free. Boom! I started in the European section, soaking up beautiful, simplistic watercolors, then moving on to evocative, oils setting the scene for French dignitaries and early modern/impressionistic art. I was incredibly moved by two paintings - I think they both were by Jean Francois Millet - definitely one of them which was a man working the fields called MAN WITH A HOE. The inscription next to it read "In a rocky plane a man, all worn out... tries to straighten himself for a moment and breathe. The drama is surrounded by beauty." The other was a picture of (whoever the) artist's child - a mournful picture of adolescence. Lovely. Very lifelike.

I then took in some sculptures and decorative art, which I appreciated but wasn't so into. The next section CUBA: A REVOLUTIONARY EXHIBITION was STTTTTUNNNING. It showed, through the photographic eyes of several artists, the expression of lifestyle in Cuba from 1908 to today. The original famous and iconic image of Che Guevara. A young boy in black and white grinning optimistically whilst clutching a gun. A young woman, posing provocatively at the beginning of her womanhood. I loved it. Finally, I went to the beauteous central garden, sat on the grass and wrote in the sun. Watched lovers be romantic. Watched kids get in trouble for playing with the highly 'designed' flowers. And I wrote and I wrote and I smiled.

That evening Jess had organised dinner for me at Buddha's Belly, a superb Asian restaurant on Beverly Blvd. Attending were Charlotte, Jess, Ben, Craig Hall, Taika Cohen/Waititi, David and Sam someone and moi. California wine flowed, we talked shop and talked shit. We laughed and told stories and it was a great last 'proper' dinner in LA. And they all paid for me. Nice eh?

Jess, Ben, Sam and I went on to a famous little bar (will have to ask Jess the name) and the boys bought the girls flash cocktails till the wee hours and I had to crash out at Jess' as it was so late. But really fun. I'll miss Jessa - she's another keeper. And I really like her boyf too. Nice when one approves of one's friends partners. She drunkenly said to me 'We've talked about it Kate. Ben and I have decided. You have to move here. It will be so good for you. People like you here. Don't get stuck' You know what? I concur.

We were all (and I'm sure by now you're thinking 'Kate - monitor the drinking!') worse for wear in the morning. I rolled out of bed, went round the corner and had breakfast as I knew I wouldn't be eating for hours, walked up the epic La Brea Avenue and got Charlotte's car then packed and packed. And sunbathed and packed. Because I KNEW I'd be overweight. Those fecking boots Gretchen gave me are cool, but super buttie!

I retrieved Charlotte, we got manicures and then met Jess and Ben one last time before she goes to Sydney and had a gorgeous little meal at the Grove.

When we left, I danced in the Grove to the charming music, as the fountain danced around me, people stopped and clapped. And I didn't have a care in the world. Because I can be anyone I want to. And right then, I was aiming for a 1940s Hollywood movie star dancing by a musical fountain because she felt pure love.

On that note. That was Kate McGill in America. For now.

I did manage to get a sort of upgrade by telling the woman of my horrific period pains, I avoided the bag charge and I left a little sad to go but also hopeful at my brilliant future ahead.

I wont get stuck Jess Smith.

No comments:

Post a Comment