Thursday, August 5, 2010

Sweet Bird of Youth

Dear blog,
I'm going to condense some stuff and go over it again later because it's been a BIG couple of weeks and I don't know where to start or end. I'm sorry there might not be some specifics. I'll have to fill in later as they come to me.
But I will start at the Mandarin Oriental, where we were put up on night two. GORGEOUS. Can I Say GORGEOUS? Deluxe Suite and a far cry from the urine soaked hostel we had succumbed to for 5 nights, with the creepy man next door, and the weird unexplained guys down stairs.
Emma and turned up in jandals and shorts, unaccustomed to the heat that New York offers. Muggy. We were probably a little shiny from the sweat. One step into the lobby and we realised we'd made a huge mistake, this was the creme de la creme of hotels. Ice Cube, rapper/actor was sitting on a set of couches with his posse. We got into the elevator, both holding our breath. Checked in, and we were led by a charming bellhop to our room. Once inside, we waited for the bellhop's steps to become a mere faint pattering and then we SCREAMED! jumped up and down and giggled for the best part of 30 minutes. We got into our luxury robes and swanned about for a bit, a nap was taken and then we were on our our to transforming from jandal-wearing hicks to Audrey Hepburn-esq strumpletts of New York City.
Downstairs to the bar with sweeping views of Columbus Circle and Manhattan, and we sipped cocktails and sat with the elegance of women with lots of money. We felt very spesh.
A little tipsy, we decided at 7.45 to go to a show. This was met by a flurry of taxi drivers wanting to take these hot babes in their car, in a hurry, probably because we looked like we'd tip well!
We didn't make it, and thus, did not tip well. However, we went for a delightful dinner and drink at this place Off Broadway, and made good friends with the waiter, who gave us some great offers of time spent in NYC... we forgot about him and carried on about our lives...!
We had a little boogie and late night home, the Mandarin, we tootled around and finally slept for hoursssss. Midday came, and we were in the exclusive pool, I had a bath while watching a flat screen television, and then it was time to check out. We were devastated. Especially as the only place with any accommodation left was the hideous urine-soaked Central Park Hostel. We left our bags at the MO and swanned about NY, shopping for Em's relatives and whatnot.
And that night we went to A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC. A stunning musical, sort of like watching The Seagull, but not hugely depressing, directed by Trevor Nunn and starring Bernadette Peters and Elaine Stritch, and I tell you, there wasn't a greater musical pleasure than seeing Broadway icon Bernadette Peters bust out the show's signature tune 'Send In the Clowns,' transporting artistry was how someone described it - I quite agree - such palpable force. She was just every woman in that room and her standing O was incredibly, definitely, well deserved.
Bernadette Peters

Elaine Stritc

The next day, Em and I went down to Central Park, where we saw the most beautiful young AfricanAmerican chorus sing classical under an awning by the famous angel statue (from Angels in America) and had a lunch and a drink at the Iconic Boathouse, where we pissed off several waiters by asking them to take photos of us (it is very flash, and we saw a few B list celebs - like Pierce Morgan off Xfactor)
It amused us greatly. Then, one of the best things I've done here, is hire a boat and row around the lake in Central Park. SO MUCH FUN. And really very funny trying to get the hang of it. A lot harder than one might think.
Straight after, we hightailed it to SoHO, to meet my cousin Tim, we got stuck on a frozen subway and were about half an hour late, it was not ideal.... A little dinner in Chinatown, delight at the shopping offers and another quick decision to go and see RACE, the new Mamet on Broadway - also directed by him. Now, I think sometimes, especially with a text-intense writer like David Mamet, it is not a good idea - at all - for them to direct the show they wrote. Because they focus so heavily on the text, or their own conceptions of how the show has to look, that there is nothing to rub against it, no tension or contrast. And this show, though well written, was an example of that.
I don't get why Izzard gets so much work. He's OK. But there's nothing really sparkly about him as an actor. He took over from James Spader - now that is someone I would like to have seen - Dennis Haybert and Afton C Williamson, were the only actors warranting a good review, on account of they were playing with levels, they were aware that there needed to be some pull. The other actor was amateur, and one of the most uncomfortable actors I've seen tread the boards in a long while. An informative experience.
Afterwards, we went to a couple of bars and got into great debates about ethics. As one does and off we went on our way.

The next day, I was on my 1st day of interning, which was only to pack boxes, for their big move. But I met Tiffany and Greg, the admins, and the stage Manager Samone. And I got to see all the research Moises had done for 33 Variations - hundreds and hundreds of books and articles about Beethoven and music and rhythm. SO extensive!
That being done, we had a night in.

Erm, the next day we went to SoHO again, to continue the exciting shopping. I bought a ring and a couple of things for pressies. It is so colorful down there, can't help but be blown away by the noises, fashion, food. We were exhausted by the end of that day and sooooo hot.

Our darling friend Katie was coming to town so we went back to our new place (THANKS BE!) on West 71st - so nice - and had a siesta then gussied up for another night out. We Katie and 3 guys - all of whom, in my opinion, were complete eejits - in East Village and danced up a storm in a place called Ella. I was having a delicious time, leaping around to hiphop stylings, but the plan was to go do Karaoke. Now I love Karaoke, but private booths? No fun. The whole point is to make a fool out of yourself! And what's more the guys we were with were so rude. Well I thought so, the gals were having a great time, and I was just pissed off.
4am and we were eating pizza and then bed. I was not in the best of spirits after that experience. Tired and grumpy!

The next day was an hilarious excursion for coffee and waxists in East Village. Not a good idea on a mild hangover and 2 hours sleep. Ridiculously bung would be suffice.
It was pretty lax - I skyped some folks and was busy preparing for my first day of interning. Nervous as all get out. Katie was heading back to Steamboat Monday, so we met up with her and Justin for dinner, at an Indian place close to where we're staying. A lovely meal, nice conversation, and we decide, as it's early, to try a Moroccan bar that had been recommended to me. And then this guy turns up, Justin's friend Randy, who's a nice dude, very amusing and intelligent, not like the other doofheads we'd met the other night, and we got on like a house on fire, so another new friend made. Yay!
Early night. And TECTONIC...

First I'll just fill in the evenings because the week was SO FRIGGIN HUGE!
Monday night - Emma picked me up, took me for a Mojito, she bought some great fake Prada/Gucci bags for presents and then we waited for 2 hours to get into the Empire State Building - which i had done before, but not at night. It was stunning. Windy, elemental, sparkly, delightful. We laughed our heads off at goofy tourists and a Late night dinner of pizza and home time.

Tuesday night - we went on a random outing far down East Village, because we had been told there were great bars there. We got the wrong train and ended up at Kiss and Fly, and some other high name NY clubs. We didn't really want to pay for drinks, so we headed in a cab into the right direction where I got in a foul mood, because everywhere appeared to be shut. Finally we found this one place that Olivia (my room mate) recommended, and these nice Wall St guys bought us a cocktail each and after a little chat we headed home.

Wednesday night - Emma's last. BOOOOOO!!!
I met her on the outskirts of Central Park, she had bought bits and bobs and wine from Grand Central Markets for a picnic. I got dressed up. And we sat, as the sun went down, nibbling, laughing reading and chatting and having a lovely time. This is one of my favourite memories. Sitting on the grass with Em, taking panoramic photos and talking about love life, reading The Laramie Project, talking about the craft of acting and how much we appreciate each other as friends and colleagues. Will never forget it.
Unfortunately, we made the epic mistake of deciding to go home before going out to Coney Island. We were so sweaty and I had 3 bags. So we had some more wine hung out and got the train. When we got there - AFTER AN HOUR! - IT WAS SHUT! I can't tell you how irritated and furious we were. It was 1am by the time we got back to Manhattan. So we had a little nibble in Times Square and that was Em's last night! I met with her for lunch the next right before she took off, but I was still so glad we had that divine picnic and 2 and a half months of amazing memories. I have found a very good friend. Someone trustworthy and generous and funny as hell. Very lucky.

Thurs night uneventful - I was tired and slept!

Friday night was great! I met up with Cuzzy TJ again for a beer then we actually went to Coney Island which was just extremely fun! We got out there, I sung a little rendition of 'Under the Boardwalk' - coz we were and then outside and it is magical! Decrepit. But magical. Tim was on a budget, and afraid of heights... so we only went on a couple of rides, which was fine by me coz they were fab! The swinging ferris wheel gave the most exciting view of sparkly rides, stadiums, the sea. And the hiphop bumper cars. Basically bumper cars, with a HipHop DJ slamming out tunes, with guys dancing around you. I was giggling away and got in heaps of trouble for spinning my car in a circe.
Down on the Boardwalk, there was a group of people dancing, to which I joined. Krumping up a storm in the best way I know how. Tim wasn't keen so I made him hold my bags while I had a time...! In fact I embarrassed him a lot. Very entertaining.
Then for some reason there was an incredible fireworks display on the beach. I was well impressed. Dampened only by some retarded racist girls. I recorded them on film. Little s**ts.

So that's where I'm up to - stay tuned for the Tectonic Edition. I need to go out now and enjoy the sun.
Bisous


No comments:

Post a Comment