Gonna work backwards....
We've become obsessed with this thing called Auto tune the news (look up on You tube and make sure you watch the original video as well) it's hilarious - essentially this group called Schmolo finds clips on net usually from the news of people saying unusual, asinine or ridiculous things and they autotune them into a song. Hours of entertainment. The below link is a woman on a blog who gets upset over her catloving!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sP4NMoJcFd4We've had quite a week and a half. 3 rehearsals a day. Going from Devised to Shakes to Devised. And, needless to say we are all exhausted and the workload has meant we have not been as productive as we coulda been. I had a wee realisation last night that it is OK for these to be works in progress. We are testing out some things.
We opened Civilisation last night and we hadn't done a run of the whole show with a full cast so it was energised with a smidge of anxiety. I was working on my character journeys and supporting the rest of the cast. There was a really strong sense of listening to each other because we had to be able to bail each other out if we needed too. We had a fecken' hard day yesterday - four thunderstorms and we realised we'd have to perform inside. It was an intimate audience but a lovely one. Personally, I'm glad we battled through it.
Tonight, we open Much Ado. And I again am concentrating on character physicality, impulses and listening. I realised I've been completely self focussed and I need to make sure the play is as cohesive as possible. Nothing better than feeling like a generous actor and sharing the stage with people.
Last Friday, Martine and I went to the Old Town Pub and danced the night away - I felt truuuuly crapulous on Saturday morning. It wasn't because of drinking too much - it was the week and the stress. We had a very productive rehearsal out in the beautiful open space at Perry Mansfield where Steve works, then planned to go home to have a wee rest before the Rodeo that night. However I was stupid, driving my bike, I decided to do some grocery shopping, and then couldn't fit my shopping, bike and self on the bus and had to balance it all! In the heat! On a bike! Up a mountain! I fell over and had to get dear Adam to come down and help me - we laughed all the way home! Only had about half an hour to 'rest' before the rodeo.
I have mixed feelings about the Rodeo. On one hand - a cultural experience that I'm glad I had. Firstly for the small enjoyment and 2ndly for the offensive behaviour. Food for thought. Let me clarify:
Enjoyment - A ridiculous rodeo clown that did a lot of cheesy jokes and tricks with horses and dogs. The hundreds of little kids running after a tiny bull was the cutest thing. BUT - and here's where the offense comes in - I don't know how anyone can validate the treatment of animals. Tying up bulls and horses by the balls so they buck? Chasing a bull with a horse, trying to loop a rope around it, take it down then tie its legs up for 10 seconds - and in the case of one guy - accidently getting the bull by the throat and strangling it. HORRIFIC.
We were all feeling a smidge strange after that and wanted to go home - but it was Steve's bday
and we headed to the Boathouse Pub to toast him. SO VERY HAPPY WE DID THAT!
Because there was the most fabulous blues gig on, playing were the Rocking Jake Band http://www.rockinjake.com/, whose groupies consisted of old cowboys having the time of their life. And I did too - I started the dancing and boy, did I dance. It was the most fun I've had in the longest time. Pure joy. And I didn't give a rats what anyone thought. And yes, everyone joined in on the action. What a great time! The others wanted to go to Sunpies and hit the razzle after but Simon and I weren't keen so we got sidewalk sausages (me a veggie dog) and taxied home. Blissful sleep and then SUNDAY!
Another bday! Felix! I had ventured to the dollar store (bike fiasco) and got him a lot of American treats and after a rehearsal we had a gorgeous potluck grill - Susie Jackson brought over bean caviar, we had a lovely cake made by Martine, and it was a lovely night! But we stayed up farrrr too late.
Monday was 4th of July and it woulda been better to not have felt like arse, but que sera sera, we headed down to the pancake brekkie at 8am - then dressed in 40s garb then got on the float singing Toi Whakaari E!, Hey, Nonny Nonny and This Land is Your Land. It was mercifully short but really fun nonetheless. Americans love America big time.
A really great sleep after a Shakespeare rehearsal and we headed to Susie's for a(nother) grill and down to her gorgeous art gallery for the fireworks. I met some lovely friends of hers - a couple who were most likely having their last 4th of July together - the lady Beth, has a horrible cancer and most likely will pass soon. It was quite special to be watching the fireworks with them. And in amidst the magical surroundings, I was suddenly overcome with hope, joy and wonder for life. It was rather unexpected and strange - especially as I was near this couple who were having a different sort of experience. But I slept sound that night.
So, then we come to my birthday. I wont drone on about it. But Felix and I had brekkie (which, subsequently he got food poisoning from... yerk) and he gave me a book and sunnies. Then the onslaught of 3 rehearsals. Which were fine. You know... Anyway, Patty - one of the Galsco board members - took me and Adam out for lunch and bought me a foot reflexology voucher - we finished the 3rd a little early 915 - and headed down to Mambo Italianos - where a lovely dinner and red wine awaited. I ate myself into a stupor. But all and all a lovely night.
I'm just gonna leave you with one more thing.
This is from my wonderful Dad. Too good for just my eyes...
Hi Kate
Happiest birthday, my dear.
‘You’re in my heart
You’re in my soul
You’re in my memories
As I grow old.’
Rod Stewart
Marmalade Memories
1. The External
This morning I have made a batch of marmalade, a calming activity --
as I wrote in my Bun Rabbit food memoirs.
Yesterday I harvested five of Robyn’s big and half-green grapefruit
Perfect for the jam.
I chopped and soaked in water overnight.
This morning, a still, chill winter’s day,
I boiled the fruit and water for 20 minutes,
As indicated by the Weekend Gardener recipe.
Added sugar and boiled another 30 minutes, stirring to stop burning.
I followed religiously the hints, and reminded myself not to leave it for a second.
I tested for setting several times, and voila, it set.
I had the jars and lids sitting in hot water.
I poured the golden jam into the jars,
Sealed them, wiped them down to remove dribble,
Stepped back and admired a gorgeous seven jars of marmalade
Sitting on the stainless steel sink. Success.
2. The Internal
Staring into the bubbling golden grapefruit for 20 plus 30
My mind roamed around my life between
My mother and my daughter.
The computer man asked me if I wanted Skype
And I do, but I need a camera,
I need Skype to see you in Colorado
On your birthday.
I love your sonnets on your blog.
Mum used to hum over her marmalade making,
Breaking into a cracked voice falsetto
Rendition of Somewhere Over the Rainbow.
I loved the worn wooden jam-stirring spoon
That seemed such an extension of Mum’s beating arm.
I loved squeezing Mum’s arm further up
Above the elbow, still soft.
Her forearm was steel muscle
From beating a million cake mixes
And bestowing the gluggy beater
On her two hovering sons to wrestle for ecstatic licking.
Mike and me.
Netty on the phone asked how Michael was.
I said he patted my hand last time I saw him,
Much the way Dad reassuringly patted Mum’s
When she was agitato.
His memories are locked away now.
The Intimacy column in the DomPost today
Asked and answered questions on happiness.
My happiness was stirring marmalade
And thinking of Mum making batches of it,
Of my daughter in Colorado
Writing sonnets and planning the Laramie Incident
For her production back home.
I miss you both so much.
My eyes fill with tears
Of happiness.
Have a happy birthday and have a safe trip home.
All my love.
DKDadxxx
No comments:
Post a Comment