Sunday, July 24, 2011

It's been a while since I wrote

The days are getting both shorter and hotter.
The storms - after reaching a pinnacle of ridiculous unpredictability - have stopped. And now our shows are about to as well. It's been a stress for all wondering if we are gonna get rained out, whether Stuart's booked a backup place. Whether we have a show!?! But now the shows are over. I am the only kiwi left in the boat. And that is fine. Reflection time.
So I'm gonna attempt to go in order. I may jump around. Do forgive me. I will note things out of my diary...
July 9th - Have opened both shows. Strangely fared better in Much Ado than in Civilisation. I expected it the other way around because of my slightly awkward Shakespeare last year. I just realised I'm not the star attraction in Civ. but do have the potential to be in Much Ado. It is my onus to keep fine tuning. I cannot rely on the director for that as he is now focussing on performing one of the leads. Long story. But Leonato aka Doug quit under tiring circumstances.
Anyway, my focus is on being present and generous as we have a bunch of fresh actors who need support. I felt such great freedom tonight in Much Ado - started to work with the audience which I know is one of my gifts - being able to be connected with a group in a comic sense - the tougher thing is always being that connected when I am being more erm, simple and truthful
I guess would be the words.
July 11th - Why oh why did I insist on wearing highwaisted shorts for the Shakespeare? Now, I know that period wise, they are great. But not only do they hook to areas that one wouldn't like hooked during performance (let alone physical comedy) but they are boudaciously unflattering! And hideous pics on facebook! Curse you facebook! 2nd Civ show tonight - really started working the relationship with the audience (as Shakes has taught me yet again. Good ol' Willy!)
This is something I want to harness the rest of the season. It is how I can contribute performatively to the show. It is about 'Selling it' and choosing the moments.
Been reading EAT PRAY LOVE which I do love! Phrase of the week 'Master Your Thinking'
I like to be in control but the only thing I need to control is my mind. My choices. Love, cravings, practice, routines and consumption should be in tune with my spirit.
July 12th - It's 1/2 way into 2011 and I'm reading EAT PRAY LOVE and contemplating Buddhism. As you do. I like the concept of a practice that settles the mind into being more focussed, more clear.
We are doing the kids theatre workshops and all of a sudden I've realised the adventure in Steamboat is almost over and that it may well be the last festival I am part of. Financially it's too debilitating and I am missing out on auditioning back home. And, of course, other things too. But I'd love to actually work here and live here and I would need a visa. So, I can't see it happening. However, Adam and I were thinking of doing a two hander in the winter which would see us here for 2 weeks. Mmm. Tempting.
With this new found realisation I've been thinking about what I want back home. What I want to achieve this year. I have made a list. At the bottom of this list reads: Inner peace and a spot of financial stability. Ha!
July 13th - Have just finished EAT PRAY LOVE - which I realised I did not want to like. Thought (from experience with film) that my skepticism wouldn't hold me through the book. It's taught me a little about compassion and about listening to God - whatever that, he, she, it may be. Listening to myself and to beauty. Which is life. At a particularly poignant part near the end of the book I glanced up from my body-stamped spot in the grass, lying diagonally next to my bike and surrounded by friends and saw the sun shooting through the trees and cotton spilling through the air delicately lit, like summer snowflakes and in the following order (most peculiar I felt) I imagined: snow, my love's face, myself lying next to him, him reaching for my hand, me smiling at the sky and a pregnant belly. What does that mean?!! I thought I put that guy to rest in my heart?! He's not even here this year!! However, beautifully filmic images, and I didn't feel sad or anything. Just sort of contented and hopeful.
So, I guess I'm a little more than grateful to Liz Gilbert and her book. Sorry Julia Roberts, but it wasn't done justice.
15th July - Ass and legs on fire. Have been riding a bike everywhere. Which is great! But also tiring and energising simultaneously! Have been teaching kids with Simon - who I adore! so joyous, goofy, intelligent and caring. Had a salad and bellini lunch afterwards with M'Tang and Adam, read in the park, then went on a sore ass inducing epic ride home in the sun. Now am on bus on way to free concert, with an old man who's harping on about 'friends with benefits' Ummm DUDE! You're on the bus!! Yesterday at the supermarket, a morbidly obese 50 year old with hideous and expensive clothes offered to buy me a Starbucks coffee. Hilarious.
16th July - Our show on Wednesday was mad - first Stu was a bit late and forgot the tree, then the pace was farrrked, then a storm came through about half way into it and we ended up having to relocate to the depot. With half the audience in tow. It actually resulted in a much better performance - I think perhaps something to do with us all being on equal ground, having a shared experience etc. I realised I wasn't working on ANYTHING in the first part of the show - thus I got time to reset and I was much more pleased with the result in a more connect, multilayered performance. So much more satisfying. I don't know why I thought I could get away with just winging it. It makes me so much more aware if I choose to focus on a question or an area of development. So tonight up at Spring Creek, I'm gonna make spacial dynamic a focus. I'm excited.
Last night the free concert was Grace Potter and the Nocturnals. I'd never heard of them. But boy, were they fabulous. I have never have seen rock musicians havings such a super time on stage. I did the groupie thing and bought a CD and a T'Shirt. She is one of the best live singers I've had the pleasure to hear, see, dance to
July 17th - very tired today Gammy. Gonna make my mission connection and specificity. Connection to my actions. LATER...
After she arrived last night, Charlotte and I went up the gorgeous Gondolas and had dinner at Hazies. What a 3 course scrumptious meal. Beet salad. Divine fish. NZ wine. And dessert we saved for later. The view was stunning and I just loved it.
July 18th - After a nearly rained out show on Sat night (Civ which I did some terrifically naughty improv) we got in the cars and headed to Denver. Charlotte and I drove with Stu so they could chat about the future on the fest. It made me realise how uninformed, and unclear he is on his own producing and made me really want to help. When we finally got to Denver, disaster ensued. We got given a key to our hotel room in the beautiful Oxford Hotel (Patty and I had had Apple Martinis - Yum!) When we opened it, a man's voice shouted 'WRONG ROOM!' Giggling, all us gals headed back down, thinking they'd given us the wrong room number. (cont'd 20something of July) No no no no no! They had over booked. A flash as town car was sent and off we went to the Hyatt Grand. Dionjoy, our driver was amused to have a bevy of gals from the world in his car.
No no no no no no no. Wrong hotel. I was getting pissed. I wanted to hit the town! And I wanted a room to lay my head! Dionjoy arrived again and off we went to the Hyatt Regency. Also full. I got snippy and spent half an hour getting us not one but two rooms. And both free. I have to say I channelled my mother.
The boys, having left me in a rage, buggered off - so me, Charlotte and Martine got a bottle of bubbles at a truly crap bar, were then picked up by Patty, taken back to the other hotel. Raided their minibar. Then went home to sleep.
The next day - we traipsed around town after a lovely brekkie. I don't think I'd like to live in Denver. It's pretty. But also pretty uninteresting! Off to the GORGEOUS botanical gardens for 2 shows. Both Much Ado. The first space was small, hard to do same blocking in. And we had a tiny audience. I had fun and learnt about adjusting. Then the 2nd. You couldn't ask for two more different performances! A beautiful huge marquee tent. Over 300 people and the best show yet! We were all so focused. Having fun. Playing out to the audience. Just superb. I don't even know how I can describe how intrinsically we were connected. So I'll just say that. Really very cool.
OK PART TWO TO COME SOONER THAN LATER! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment