Tuesday, December 8, 2009

A Year of travel

FAT PRINCE
MY CLASS GRADUATING
MY CLOAK - How I love my friends


I have graduated from drama school and I have travelled the world this year.
I think that has been an influential part of shaping my work and my ideologies as... me.
Experiencing France and the strong family ties made me realize culture is everything. I am one of the fortunate people who is made up of many cultures that weave together to make me: French, Maori, Irish, Scottish, Spanish, English. I feel like it is my responsibility to myself to investigate these ties. Whether it be the languages or the culture (that's both the same though isn't it?) People create from themselves and share from a place of connection tend to be the ones I most respect. So, in making my work, I think that the strongest work, the work I'm most proud of, has been those that have connected to my whakapapa and/or morals.
In the Caucasian Chalk Circle, our graduation production this year, Christian Penny (director and leader) simplified things. From the get-go, he made things about connection. Casting was made on who had the quality that represented the characters best. Scenes were constructed from who had skills or offers that connected best with the story. The result was a promenade piece that has created a huge forum about work (http://www.theatreview.org.nz/reviews/review.php?id=2592) and how work is presented. This forum I find totally exciting and disturbing and challenging - I don't know how I would respond - But what I have realized is what is a better way to showcase actors than from a place of connection? Within that production, I went from hating it and the process to finding ways for it to work for me to being very proud of what we created. I occasionally have a few niggles about being cast as in my role of the Fat Prince. A disappointment of being cast as a man or old woman so many times. Roles that I will not be cast in outside of school. A bit of a double edged sword. Because, I am lucky to have the experience in working against physical type but unlucky in that I haven't worked in type for a while. But Oh Yes, I have been lucky to have been taught what I have been taught and now have a process to (try to) make the best of everything. To challenge myself in my craft. Questioning everything from purpose, to audience relationship to form. So, I feel actually lucky with my sword because now I have a weapon (haw haw) to work with. The challenge for my work is not to fall into work that is easy for me - the comedy OTT stuff that is expected. I know I can investigate more than that. Can risk more. So there you are. A bit about the end of my year. I expect I'll backtrack and write more later. Ciao xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment