I wont bother saying I'll add to this later, because all signs say I might not actually do that - given my past blogs.
Things I should talk about if I get the chance are the Disney exhibition, the Bill Viola - Raft, the Melbourne Gallery, the shite but amusing Shakespeare in the Botans, the frisbee times in the botans, 'The King's Speech,' between me and Angus - ruining the internet at my Aunts, amusing fights between my ma and her sis.
But for now, I will just say, I trundled around a very cold, wintery Melbourne on the 2nd day we were here, and went to the ACMI (Australian Center for Moving Images) and experienced the Walt Disney exhibition which I was dubious about - only really went because I was a bit bored, and I tell you, it brought memories of my childhood back - and I've realized that The Little Mermaid, Cinderella, The Lion King and Beauty and the Beast taught me how to dream and has directly affected the way I think about Romance - like big, epic romance - and how that comes into my work. Today I found myself listening to hiphop and writing this:
The storm it brews. An ocean of dreams tumbling like a drunk man after a night on the bottles on the ice. I was there once. Arse in the sand, head in the air.
But I remember those days with the candor of someone who was once attractive, once slim, once fiercely intelligent. In a lot of ways his love ruined me. I pined for him. So when he was away, I would hide away by being out there, at the pub with the girls with the travellers, excusing my behaviour because I knew that 20% of the year I would be myself again.
I would be the pretty innocent he met on a trip to the mainland. He moved here for me, but in doing so, made me more lonely than I even could imagine. He came, he loved and he disappeared. I long for him now like a drug addict high on something and coming down but wanting more. Not that I would know about that.
That says a lot about the whimsy I encourage in my life and in my theatre. Sort of over dramatic, but with true heart. I've been wondering lately what my flavour is. And yes, comedy is a huge part of what I do. And what I have written about before - purpose, form and relationship - but it's also very much about what brings people together and what tears them apart.
I'm starting to find excitement in the work Emma and I are embarking on now because of that.
Our whole piece has got that running through it's blood. And that old analogy of how you build theatre like a body: bones, muscle and blood. Well we've got the bones and the blood - we just need to build some strong as muscle - it really makes me feel better about the whole thing - the short amount of time gives me serious anxiety.
Ok, so after getting excited about the fables and foibles of Walt Dis, I wombled out and went into the Bill Viola (see below) exhib 'The Raft' a video art piece which is both shocking, moving and presumptuous all once - the premise is almost a catalyst for a modern day's Noah's Ark that fails because of present day human's inability to connect. That didn't explain anything did it? Well, basically, these people enter the space, like they are waiting for a bus, once they are all there - and most of them aren't communicating - this high pressure water hoons at them from either side. Like truly hoons. My first instinct was ok, You're making a point. And then when the granny went down and no one helped her... Well, I was quite overcome. Some people by the time it stopped and the true panic it invoked in the participants and the onlookers (me) stopped, there was a sense of community by the sheer fact that a catastrophic event bandied them together.
I have to stop writing shortly because we're about to be called into the plane. But the rest of that day was spent with Adam, walking around - we bought a frisbee, got some wine and went and hooned it around the park. It was tres fun. A man got attacked hardcore by a swan. We also found this thing we titled a SWUCK - half swan, half duck. Truly interesting day. Yars...
More as when. When is right! xoxo
www.billviola.com
No comments:
Post a Comment