Friday, March 13, 2009

Days 11 and 12

Well Shosh has discovered Summer Heights High and we've been spending 1am-3am cackling away to the eps. Yesterday I went to a fantastic Intercultural Ways of Seeing lecture at NYU.
Karen, the lecturer really challenged people to be specific on their thoughts, how it relates to performance, and more importantly perhaps how it relates to them.
We were studying Lost In Translation, The Sofia Coppola Film. A little less obscure than last week, for me anyway. So, there was a presentation by some students and a few, 'Selected' clips shown. - There is a large amount of feminist theory at NYU (the majority of the class are women) firstly, the students presenting commented on the way the Japanese were being shown, or being exploited they rather boldly said. I don't quite buy it. I think if anything, Coppola's making a comment on the way Westerners commonly or typically see wealthy Japanese. But there were all different facets shown. I saw the silly, stereotypical side. A more businesslike person - an architype that I would attribute to any culture. Fun friends. The overly polite. The traditional. My moneys on the point made that the effect would've been the same had it been set in Hungary. It was about not understanding and that is how we visit the film and its protagonists - through their LACK of understanding of a culture.
The next point was made about how the opening shot was of Scarlett Johannson's curves lying down. The students made the statement that this was exploiting the viewer. Making men something to desire for the rest of the film and women something to aspire to. The point I made was that, had they shown the next five minutes, Scarlett Johannson gets up trots around in her daggy meshie underwear and has visible cellulite. Not hidden by a lense. What does that say. Of course that started a whole other kettle of fish. But what Karen, rightly - and I had not thought of this - brought up was that the camera angle puts you in bed with Johannson. No one sees you from that angle but your lover. So, OK there is a question of what Coppola is trying to do there. I feel it's the ordinary. It's in keeping with the film! But I had some opposition. And some agreement. But we all agreed to disagree. 
Then I went for major trotting down to Union Square and found a dinky little market where I got chatting to a woman who makes hats (who reminded me of a younger Bridget Mum!) and witnessed a fight which I tried to videotape but almost got hit in the face so backed off. 
Then, the Empire State Building and let me tell you... it was stunning. The most romantic place I've been by myself. Magical, peaceful, beautiful views. LIKE REALLLYYY BEAUTIFUL! And wonderful people up there saying the exact same things. 
I really felt refreshed as I pottered up and down Park Ave happily. Coming home, I helped Hamish with an audition (he got the part. He WILL be thanking me in his Award Winning acceptance speech) and Shosh and I went out for a mega spec meal down the road. 
I find it so hard to keep up with this blog because there is sooo much to do! And just walking for horus you see so much. Like the bums. IN Paris they totally will try and rip you off - here they put on a show (this sounds small minded I know, but this is what Ive seen thus far) One Bum Tim introduced me to holds a massive sign saying 'I'd LIKE a BEER PLEASE' and a smaller one saying 'Me too!' And he puts on a voice for the other sign!! This is a gruff huge guy with a saltnpepper beard! This other dude had a sign saying 'Give money to the sexiest homeless man' and another one just saying 'Ass' Cracked me up. I gave him a buck. 
Today was a late start (I blame Summer Heights) and I did some mundane tasks and wombled for a bit around this gorgeous area on the Upper East Side and then met Mum's old friend Roy and his lovely wife Helen in Brooklyn. They took me out for a meal, showed me their giant brownstone house (they had squirrels outside!!) and I went on back to Manhattan. 
Shosh and I went to see the new La Bute play 'Reasons to be Pretty' tonight. It was great. Apart from Piper Perabo who was overacting up a storm. I felt no empathy for her. Don't do a monologue saying that you know you're attractive and act like you don't you freakin dork. Clearly the monologues are not layered with subtext. Don't shift around awkwardly pretending to be cute. Ohhh, it irritated me something cronic. Anywho, well played by all the other actors  making it a super LaBute. Because they played for reality. You have to in his works. You cannot judge the characters in his plays when playing his characters. 
Then we managed to witness another fight in a bar. What is with this town. Stupid Army dorks getting in scraps. 
I still love it here and don't wanna leave.
Sigh. 
Photos to come.x

1 comment:

  1. a smidgen of a hangover? i'd prefer that to a real hangover any day...unless you were just trying to convince yourself! ahhh bless can't wait to see you, loving your madcap international adventures xoxox
    v

    ReplyDelete