Sunday, March 15, 2009

Final days in New York City

Well, it's coming to an end and I really feel that it is somewhere I'm going back to soon. I only touched on some of what I want to do there and it was and is an extremely exciting beginning.
On Saturday morning I got up super early and took all my stuff over to Tims (as Liz, Shosh's best friend and my old flatmate was staying with Shosh for the weekend) Feeling very bung on a couple of hours sleep, Tim and I ventured to a diner and had the most revoltingly American (and I like Americans!) breakfast. Tim ordered and I just said 'I'll have what he's having!' Little did I know a plate turns up with pancakes topped with scrambled eggs and bacon with a side of homefries, fruit salad and coffee and juice. Oh and maple syrup. Geee.
I had a class at HB studios that morning too, so I trotted up to Bank Street where the studios are (I had missed 3 other classes because they were listed wrong on the internet) and got to watch Advanced Scene Study with Austin Pendleton who directed the Uncle Vanya I am so thrilled I saw. He is a wonderful teacher too. He has a real range of skills and experience in his 20 strong class and he makes sure to comment on what worked first, where the actors strengths lie and then be constructive in a most clear but delicate way. His feedback always related to training and how to balance out script analysis with connection. This is more familiar to me than the Black Nexxus class but I feel I'd like to do both on a regular basis when I come back (next year maybe)
I then did massive walkeys all over New York just to take it in and met Shosh for a stroll through Central Park. I hadn't done it before and was so glad I did. It's enchanting. Romantic. Such an escape from the city. You can float on a boat in the river. Watch 3 beautiful guys busk in PERFECT timing. Squirrels galore. (Great photo to come: Kate meets squirrel)
Then huge walk to 220 Park Ave South where Tim was meeting me, a slight problem with a machine eating my card and suddenly an hour had passed and I was half asleep on the gorgeous big leather sofa.
Tim and I decided to see a show. IMPRESSIONISM was starring Joan Allen and Jeremy Irons, who cannot do accents (or multiple accents) to save himself. There is nothing worse than hearing a REALLY bad New York accent in New York (funny I have a better one than him just form being here a couple of weeks - was in Grand Central Markets the other day picking up some produce and I cannot figure out American change - it is beyond confusing - so I asked the cheese counter lady to pick it out for me as "i'm not from here' she was like 'Where are you from? You have an American accent." that was mildly embarrassing.) Anyway the show had promise, but was directed in such a slow way with music that told me to feel rather than let me experience what was going on. It really was one of those plays that, dare I say it, the elderly might see for a bit of old fashioned, predictable romance.
Tim and I then got giant pizza (again?!WHy do we do it to ourselves... ended up being my saviour though) and got some wine and headed to the Lower East Side for a party with Shosh's Neighborhood mates, was slightly odd. But I got to see Liz, and it was lovely catching upw ith her, she's really making a go of it in Canada. Actingwise. After a triple vodka shot at the Annex it was half one and I was drunk but realising that home might be good. I dragged Tim off and we decided to stop in the bar below his apartment again and danced up a wicked storm for some time. Sweaty and gross, we leapt upstairs. I completely passed out and here I am now. After a painful flight with American Airlines (lots of bubbys having a wah... all through the 5 1/2 hour flight!) and now am in sunny LA at the Koru lounge (which is not 40 but 55 bucks to get in! Was jipped!) but I get to chill out and process and eat and sleep.
Photos and a final update from New Zealand.
x

No comments:

Post a Comment