Little kids screaming out 'I love my country!'
A parade starts, firstly officials, police men and women, then the sheriff, then the local mayor. Popsicles are handed out. And sweets. Everyone is smiling, 'Happy 4th!' is the common phrase.
Could you do it? I was completely bamboozled by the unity of community. By the shared love of all things US. And the most obvious expectations were met and more...
I got well into it, a two dollar t'shirt was bought from WalMart with a flag across the chest. R, W and B fake flowers donned my up-do. I had red lipstick and was more than a little grinning. I think I'll marry someone here, as I feel quite Yank-ish.
We Kiwis were on the back of the local orchestras truck, taking turns at our songs 'Hope for a Generation' and 'This Land is your Land' in between brass band. We tied for first place in the float judging. And just before we went past the judges, over the loud speakers came 'And that was the local army contingent folks. (Something, something we couldn't hear, and then...) It is our God given right to be in the Middle East.' Ummm.... No. It's not actually. That's the part I don't like. And it's a pretty big wakeup isn't it. It's not all fun and flags.
A BBQ was then called forth at our whare. Gorgeous guac, veggie burgers, piles of meat, and my special garlic mushrooms. Because we had got up at the crack of dawn to go to the community pancake breakfast (FREAKING YUM!)
Anyway, cutting to it. I got in a vile, tired disposition and tried to have a wee kip. But there was no having any of that as Em, Lord love her, was about. And she has the most resonant voice of anyone I know. LOUD.
So, then to the fireworks and they were lovely. Amy, Asa's mate, invited us to a function on top of a roof and about 3 places on the mountain top let off a stream of - you guessed it - red, white and blue fireworks. Was pretty special actually... though Wellington is much more creative....
The night ended at Sunpies. And we went home, not completely hideous. As production week took over.
Although, we did go to Double Z's the next day, and Adam, who's vegetarian was propelled into Meatdom by his hangover. Easily the worst and best food I've ever eaten if you know what I mean. BBQ meaty, cheesy, fatty face delight. Only hanus American food I'm quite smitten with.
Rehearsals for the week were of the crunchtime variety. COLONISATION was not finished. Things kept changing and it was stressful. I was terrified about playing 3 characters as I thought, 'I don't think I'm physically versatile enough to carry this off.' But I really worked hard at making each character's centre very different, where they sent their energy.
With Shakespeare, I was overcome with how much I love it and respect the form it is written in. So I didn't want to F it up. Understandably. And for some reason there was one para that always left my head. Always. I was beside myself thinking I would stuff it up if I for some reason didn't say it in performance. As one does... Totally ridonkulous fears.
And in the midst of all this, I had my 25th birthday, which means I'm meant to be a bit more adult... right? Emma took me out on my NZ birthday. She bought me creams for my horociously cracked feet, nailpolish and we had a Mexican feast. My facebook page was overflowing with well wishes on the NZ day too, was very warming. I might upload them to this site just so my ego can be charged when it needs some love!!!
And on the US version, Ashlee, our director got a gorgeous cake for moi, with blue icing spelling out my name. Cuuuute. I was shouted lunch then Brony gave me a Hello Kitty keychain (Willow, you know what that means!!) and heaps of choccies and we wombled off to rehearsal for COLONISATION (which was a good day. Challenging but not vile) followed by $3 mojitos. I was in fabulous spirits. So I got gussied up in my Jackie O - Chanel frock and we went to Mambo Italiano, which I adore. All the people I've met here came along, wine was poured and food was most definitely ate and they all pooled their cash to shout me the whole evening - including at the Powder Room later on. I felt most loved.
Em, Kurtis, Alex, Mikey, Ian, Adam and I danced up a storm and I did feel mildly rugged the next day. But, it was well worth it.
What, what, what!
Saturday we opened Midsummers to about 250-300 people in fart park (otherwise called Yampa Valley Park, but Rotorua-esq) and I was so nervous to begin with, I couldn't figure out why, just self expectations I think. But I gave myself a pep talk after the first scene (which was fine, just not totally tight or specific) and reminded myself that I want to work on connecting with the audience as well as actors and surroundings. We were outside and almost playing in the round (quite accidentally!) So I charged ahead, with that intention and also of listening and keeping afresh. Making each moment different from every other time before. There is a definite inclination with me to say Shakespeare in the same pattern each time because of my obsession with the iambic. But, really, Shakespeare would not have been interested in boring work. Plays he wrote were often performed in between an hour and a hour and a half. And we faff around for 3 trying to make his words be heard. None of that. Clarity and precision yes. But intention and enjoyment are paramount for ANYTHING!
In the end it was a very good show. I was pleased with my work and my ability to work throughout the show. Keep alive my questions around the play and the production whilst having a great time and relaxing into slackish submission. I hate that!
The next day was mega action confronting. First rehearsal in the space for COLONISATION and some people still didn't have their lines down and we all didn't know what scene came where. I have 3 scenes as Winifred which are achingly similar (in my opinion) and I get them so confused. What's more I was terrified people wouldn't associate with the material. Very British humour with New Zealand content. Much?!
WE were there from 9 but had a break before the show, Brony, Tane and I went down to the art in the park markets and I was very well behaved and didn't buy anything bar a Greek salad for dinner. I was so tempted by a $25 cowboy hat but in the end, would I really wear it back home? Probs not.
A 20 minute snooze and off I went to do the show. A frightening moment for everyone was when it rained. We had got the piano outside that day and the weather was not looking promising.
Thanks be, because the sun came out and we were away. I was not at all nervous this show. Which is bizarre, as we were underprepared really. And the intention was all on specificity of the characters and having fun. Also stealing the scene too! The element of play was very alive in the whole show and it was a great success! The challenge now is to keep all those elements sparking and really take ahold of the story - we have a week until we perform again, so there is room for improvement. Oh yes.
Sunpies again and I am well pleased to say that a very attractive man I'm rather fond of told me I was beautiful. And he'd even seen me in the show, where I don't always look it (Ethel the stumpy whore is not at all a good look. More chins than a....) So, there you go.
A rather engaged week. Mustn't get carried away.
Bisoux xxx
No comments:
Post a Comment