Sunday, July 4, 2010

What I wrote for the funeral

Because I couldn't be at my Godmother's funeral, I wrote a little something for her and for Molly. It wasn't read, but I meant it, so here it is.

"Kathy O'Shea, for me, was the height of style and the epitome of generosity. I will forever remember dancing to Queen with you in London, playing with your extremely long hair as a child, being in awe of your impeccably manicured fingernails, being amazed at your aptitude for listening. You have inspired so many people, including myself. You have done so many things in this life of yours, and the best to you, I know, was creating such a wonderful, talented, intelligent daughter who is just as strong as you are. Kathy - wahine toa, strong woman - was a fighter of the utmost spirit. She fought many battles and won many wars. It is a privilege to have you as my Godmother and to be named after you. So Rest in Peace clever lady. Your spirit lives on in your daughter and in us. Arohanui. Big love. 'A thing of beauty is a joy for ever: Its loveliness increases; it will never Pass into nothingness; but still will keep A bower quiet for us, and a sleep Full of sweet dreams, and health, and quiet breathing.' JOHN KEATS"

No comments:

Post a Comment