I made a speech tautoko-ing Stuart and the work he has done to make the festival what it is. He is doing something I really believe in, and it is thankless at times, but Oh so worth it. Toi Whakaari E was sung and it was really meant and felt.
Afterwards, we played some frisbee, drank some Bacardi cocktails and packed up.
We were rushed onto the party and I rode in the car with mentioned crush and had a fleeting romantic moment looking out at the sunset. Later in the night, I was brave and told him he was a total babe and that I was gutted to be leaving, which was rewarded with a sweet kiss. Cut short by having to drive off to Denver.... TMI parents? I don't care, I want to read this for myself later! In case my diary goes missing AGAIN!
We had the after party at Anna's - a kiwi and big supporter of the festival - gorgeous food was eaten and speeches were made. Beautiful speeches. Katie stood up and said how much it has been great for her having us there, Stuart said the most moving words, Emma sung, Asa got me crying... and then we all wept for the joy of it for about an hour. Saying goodbye to Alex was especially hard as he has become a dear, dear friend. Only person who has understood my warped sense of humour and got my level of intellect...! and it's reciprocal. He is very crazy and delightful.
Steamboat Springs 2010 - I really don't think I've learnt more or grown up more or felt so useful, as an artist or a woman before.... well at least not in such a short amount of time!
The orange and red sunset crept down the Rocky Mountains and we got into our car and departed. I leant out the window after looking into that boy's stunning eyes for too long and still not enough and started the beginning of Puria Nei, the most heartful song I know. I'm sure I could hear someone else start to finish it as we turned the corner into the black of the night.
The ride was long and we didn't get to Deb's (Stuart's babe-ing girlfriend) house till 2am. Up at 3.30am and we were off on the shuttle to the airport. Not much sleep and two flights later (separate - Emma got Qantas, spare seats and a meal - and I was cramped in on a full American Airline flight with no snacks, nuffing. And what's more, next to a man who would stare at me, fall asleep, then when I needed to go to the bathroom, he would conveniently be asleep himself, making for a 'graceful' climb over him.) We met at JFK got bags, info about hostels then bused into Manhattan. The Central Park Hostel awaited our lumbering selves. 5 flights of stairs in 30 degree heat at 7 at night? Attractive.
So, me: tired, Emma: Sprightly (on account of having slept) we ventured out to Times Square which is so glittery and overwhelming and what I thought Em's first memory of NYC should be. We got wine at a charming wine bar, bought tickets to the worst comedy show in the world - only made interesting by 'being' Mary-Alice and Sharon from Brighton, Sharon is an interior decorator and Mary-Alice is in PR. We left early on and got caricatures in the street. Mine is quite fun, Emma's looks like a distorted version of Jennifer Connolly...!
But, we had a lovely time, tootling around, taking it all in. Getting photos with English sailors, etcetera.
Today, we went out for breakfast on Park Ave, got picnic food for our Central Park visit tomorrow and... arrived at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel. Ice Cube was in the foyer. The whole place is decadent beyond belief. So, we had a glass of wine, some cheese straws and we will go and have a nap, go out for dinner then Broadway and back to these luxurious surroundings.
I officially start my internship Thursday, packing up the offices at Tectonic. They're moving Friday. So, I get to meet the peeps. Nervoussss.
VUNDYFUL!!! xox
No comments:
Post a Comment