Saturday, July 3, 2010

Crunchtime and Independence day

We are a week out from performing. Finally we have a script for COLONISATION... Oh the nature of devising.
It is going to be a challenge. It is a challenge - what am I saying? I have 3 characters - all very fun, but to make them diverse and specific... you know, I think as New Zealand actors we aren't - in general - very specific. There is a lack of craft or something. We make up for it in other areas. But, I feel the pressure of performing to an American audience and being clear in what we say through performance and writing.
Adam Donald - who's directing - has grown so much as an artist, but it is difficult to get him to see things from another point of view somethings. He is very stubborn. Sometimes good, sometimes I want to get all up in his grill. It is always interesting working with friends for the first time, in what you learn about them in 'another' area and what surprises you. I have been very surprised. I imagine him directing at the RSC one day.
The Shakespeare rehearsals have been outside most of this week, which has been two steps backwards. Projecting outside (in front of a highway in one 'venue') while desperately trying to stay connected and in the moment, is friggin hard. I feel like the biggest over actor in the world.
Though, I have been having tremendous fun playing Robin Starveling, who has all but three lines. I've made him into an intoxicated, smoking South African, who occasionally pipes up with random sentences... not Shakespeare's... Must try not to corpse at self. Not very professional.
In the last week, I have been approached to direct two very different things. I'm not sure about this. I am flattered, and interested in the projects. But do I look at it as growth for me as an artist or what? I probably should, but I am stubbornly thinking 'acting, acting, acting' - Well, when there is no acting work for me, it's a bit redundant, isn't it?

Have been looking online at jobs in UK. Ushering jobs at Young and Old Vic theatres... Could be a go-er. But the hoopla around getting a visa - the only way I could do it is if I get a passport.

This week has been filled with the tummy bug, the only eventful thing - apart from rehearsal - was seeing a brilliant band called Trampled by Turtles from Minnesota. They were the ultimate hick, country band. The first guy on stage, in his overalls and cowboy hat, looked like he was about to give birth and milk a cow at the same time. Violins, guitars, banjoes, all going at such high speed that after every song, they all needed to change strings. Farrrrrk it was amazing.

Tomorrow begins the 4th of July celebrations - we are having pancake breakfast at 7am, then going on a parade float and singing kiwi songs, then going to the rodeo and fireworks and BBQing. Sounds like a great schedule. Let's hope all our stomachs don't have conniptions.
I am going to learn lines, rehearse our parade songs, then maybe go to the gym.
Delight of delight.

No comments:

Post a Comment