Sunday, July 25, 2010

Bittersweet Symphony

Well, a quick post. This week has been sad and marvellous and hard and full.
The last show of Midsummers yesterday. One of my finer performances I think. Rather detailed. I went in with the provocation of specificity and connection and it paid off.

On Wednesday, we performed it in beautiful Botanic Park which was glorious and sunny up until the last 15 minutes, when thunder, lightning and rain poured down. About 50 people bolted off to their cars but 100 people got under an enormous umbrella and we finished the show in the rain. It was one of the most fun, probably the most fun, I've had on stage/on grass. I improvised wildly. Adam was wearing a metal knights hat as Bottom and instead of the requisite 'Strangle yourself'' I said 'Why don't you poke your head at the sky and wait for lightning to hit?' The audience went nuts. I managed not to corpse for once...
We didn't get to do the extra COLONISATION show which was a bummer, but we have the final one today. I'm going to work on clarity and moment to moment work today and also play, be naughty....

I finally went up in the Gondolas which was the most spectacular view. All of Steamboat and a view of the mountain.
ahhh, we went for dinner at a sponsors house, which was awkward and really nice all at the same time, I've played a lot of frisbee and decided to be vegetarian - the meat here sucks and makes me feel repulsive. And the highlight of the week was going to the hot springs, huge rock pools all different temperatures and everyone goes completely nude. You can see the stars for miles when it's clear, which it was. The moon was full and the brightest moon I've ever seen.
I was only disappointed that my crush didn't come as it was tres romantic... up until I lost my tog bottoms and got hit in the head by a bat. It didn't hurt, just swiped me but even so.

I'm feeling really very sad to leave this place. It has been extremely good for me, for my spirit. And I'm so looking forward to NYC, but not looking forward to the possibility of going back to New Zealand. I guess I've realised I have huge ambitions and I don't know whether I can meet them back home. I've got this idea that I'm going to be challenged more as an artist overseas and I will have to fight for my craft, I think that is really important to fight. One can become idle.

Well, goodbye Steamboat, thank you for the memories. I'll be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment