So, now I'm up and running and have a new friend in the Verizon man. Haha. I'm so very immature.
And I only bought one thing! A $3 eye liner cause I'd run out. Very restrained. And after the day before, where we feasted on Johnny Be Good's diner food and I - along with the rest - spent $80 on groceries, and then went to Walmart to stock up on cheap shampoo etc. And that was before I'd done my budget. My budget. Oh it is not much but I can do it, and Martine and I have made a collective decision about nights out on the town. Basically to keep them to a minimum, because of finances and what we each, individually want to achieve on this trip.
Last night was hilarious, we had spent the day picking up necessities and then met Nick at the Mahogany Ridge for $3 cocktails and tapas, it was so lovely to catch up with him - he was in the theatre fest last year and we've become good mates - he's a dinky guy and vay vay funny
Mikey, who we also met last year, invited us to his birthday party where I played a game called CORNHOLE (heh heh - you shunt bags of sand into holes and get points. Was great until I got competitive) and tried out the Minnesotan accent - good times. Reminds me of Canadian accent a bit. I should record him before I go.
We played on the lawn, had Double Zs (Adam and I partook in salad and onion rings, though I have a fear that the brown sauce was meat...) then we all tootled down to the Ghost Ranch Saloon and experienced a male cover band rock out in Nun outfits. They were pretty terrible but also great; it reminded me of being 15 at concerts I realllly didn't like but leaping up and down because why not? So, after a few bum pinches from leery ol' men, we continued onto vegedogs (repulsive but $2. Can't complain too much. Like eating a warm, moist piece of pumpernickel bread) at 1am and a chat with an amusing local at the hotdog stand, we headed home. And here I am now.
SO>
What I want to achieve:
-Routine
-Health/fitness
-I'm after doing some serious writing. I want to bring something very specific back with me to work on. Because, I will learn heaps from this trip, but applying it is a whole nother story - and something I MUST work on now.... And I have three things in the pipeline. That's a lot for 3 months. So I'm gonna do some whittling to focus mainly on two. One is mainly research and preparation for an already made work. The other is to make some gain on my and Emma Draper's piece The Love of Your Life (but I must talk to her about this) and the other is a devised work that has been in the mix since before my secondment, so I think that I reallllly should let it see daylight. I also am determined to make a couple of short films. Just to test out, you know, have a hoon.
So today-I start writing again at 830pm, just as the soft pink touches the mountains ahead, and I am thrilled - we have had a really good day.
We went on a hike up to Fish Creek Falls, descending on the place with wonder, delight and fear - the snow is melting, so the falls are rapid, I imagine a smaller Niagara - and it is enticingly scary. Then we went further, about another hours worth up and up and up, almost to the Long Lake River. The thing is, the altitude in Steamboat Springs is intense - it takes a bit of getting used to - but going high up into the mountains (don't worry Momma, I've lectured everyone on bears) is like you've grown a new lung, and it's clean and beautiful and untainted.
In conclusion, I'm a very happy, life filled McGilly.
I'm now going to study the words of Shakespeare, because I have a challenge in Beatrice to embark on in the morn. What could be better?
No comments:
Post a Comment