Monday, June 20, 2011

Gym bunnies, healthy life and theatrical times.

A relaxing weekend here in the boat.
The boys have gone off to have a gay ol' time in Denver in honour of PRIDE WEEK. I am looking forward to hearing their stories.
This'll be a short post by the bye, because I am off to the gym!
Yesterday, after writing script, I hooned it off down there and spent a good 40 minutes on cardio then an additional ten on weights. My warmup was the 20 minute walk into town. It makes me feel better for being in the land of processed food where everything seems to have traces of corn syrup.
I've set a wee goal for myself, so this blog is gonna chronicle that. Seeing as we have no scales here, I'm going to the dollar store to buy a measuring tape.
Watch this space.
The weather has been abysmal, cold and dreary. Not to mention the thunder and lightning. Gah.
I did not pack for cold weather, so it has been layers, upon layers, upon layers.
Anyway, Sat night we went out to Perry Mansfield again and saw BOY WONDER, a great reading of a play that really should've been a film. It dealt with family issues, superhero genre, sexuality and friendship. The actors were superb. In one short week, they had created fully rounded, delicious characters, so we could really see the play beyond them holding scripts in hand.
Yesterday, I did some writing - finally finished off 'THE REALLY, LIKE, REAL MEAN GIRLS" Script, which is still in draft mode. But I'm proud to say I finished it.
Here is an excerpt:

ROSIE
Seriously. What?

LILEE

What?

RHIANNON

We’re having a Potter Summit at Yampa Park

LILEE

Oh my God. Who is?

RHIANNON

Me. Kyle Edwards. Mary. Tina. Craig. Simon. Lisa P and Lisa M

ROSIE

(over the top of Shannon)

See Rhiannon . This is why we aren’t friends with you anymore

They laugh

ROSIE

Just kidding.

LILEE
But not really

RHIANNON

I have a cape

ROSIE

Shut up in your mouth right now Rhiannon .

RHIANNON

I…

LILEE

Shut. Up.

The boys begin to file off the bus.

LILEE

Oh my God. Bye Sam. Give me a hug! Ok. Bye.

ROSIE

Bye. Have fun. That sweater was a really good choice. For your skin.

LILEE/ROSIE

Byeeee

They ignore Rhiannon while they look out the window to see if the boys will look at them. One of them surreptitiously takes a photo with her iPhone.

LILEE
Ok, so. What?

RHIANNON

Huh?

ROSIE/LILEE

The cape.

RHIANNON

Do you want to see it.

ROSIE

Oh my God. What is actually happening right now

RHIANNON

Uh. I’m showing you my cape

LILEE

Shut up

RHIANNON
Ok…


Then, as I said, went to the gym. Then a health store wrap later, I was back off to Perry Mansfield to see CHIMERA, a one woman show beautifully executed by a woman named Suli Holum and Deborah Stein - this is the Wiki explanation of what a Chimera is

The Chimera or Chimaera ( /kɪˈmɪərə/ or /kaɪ/; Greek: Χίμαιρα,Khimaira, from χίμαρος, khimaros, “she-goat”) was, according to Greek mythology, a monstrous fire-breathing female creature of Lycia in Asia Minor, composed of the parts of multiple animals: upon the body of alioness with a tail that ended in a snake’s head, the head of a goat arose on her back at the center of her spine. The Chimera was one of the offspring of Typhon and Echidna and a sibling of such monsters as Cerberus and theLernaean Hydra. The term chimera has also come to mean, more generally, an impossible or foolish fantasy, hard to believe.

Co-creators Deborah Stein and Suli Holum have created a highly theatrical exploration of medical chimerism—the phenomenon of containing two different sets of DNA within one body—in order to explore what happens when technology shatters our ideas of who we think we are. They use conventions such as narration - similar to that in OUR TOWN - to start a fresh, engaged relationship with the audience. The performer, Suli, felt strong enough in the character of Coffee Lady that she was able to tell people off for having cellphones on 'This is a kitchen. This is a theatre!' and start short conversations with them - and all within her control, a very accurate reading of the audience. She flipped between the Coffee Lady character (who was the narrator but I think also the other face of Jennifer Samuels, the protagonist) Jennifer Samuels and her son, Bryan. It was very inspirational in how to tackle my French solo. I realised I can have other people comment on my protagonist, and in doing so, create more mystery around her. In fact, Suli used rhythm changes and movement sequences to tell more about the character than her speaking did. Very viewpoints and very alive.

Tres Tres Excitement!

Afterwards, beautiful Steve lent me his car (he works at Perry) and Martine and I went grocery shopping, made dinner, went back to pick him up, then went to see a free movie BRIDESMAIDS. Hilarious. I wholeheartedly recommend this purely for entertainment value film. Written and starring Kristin Wiig, it is heartwarming to see a strong female actress who is unconventionally attractive (more so in confidence than classic beauty) write something that pulls at heart strings, empowers and gives 6 women the chance to nail great, well drawn characters. I bet there are people out there who completely disagree and will wank on about feminism. But it is a different sort of feminism. Kristin Wiig has turned social conventions on it's head - anything you (men) can do, I can do better. And in a lot of senses she does. So boom. That's awesome. I'm gonna do that too one day. I'm gonna write a schema and hit that shit. That's all for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment