A little Luau time.
I didn't really finish the last blog aannnnd forgot to actually upload it... so sorry.
The luau was fabulous. A bevy of organisation - the menu, the decorations, the guest list. The night sort of split itself into three sections. Quite by accident. We had family time, food time and party time.
Felix compiled a playlist featuring beach boys etc but we did move onto the musical stylings of Gaga later into the night.
We had the night in honour of Hiro, Felix's partner. (Photo below) He travelled from Japan for a week, so he could have a short time with his love. It was divine to see love alive. They are very very sweet.
In the last post, I started by saying the week was going really, really fast. It did and it has.
When there is an event, it seems to monopolize days. Days are written off, because you're still: cleaning up, doing things you were meant to do on the day/days of the event, getting sleep, etc, etc, etc. So, my focus has been on rehearsals and I haven't had an awful lot of time for anything else.
However, last night was Friday, we rocked up to Perry Mansfield for the dance new works festival. A guy called Kyle Abraham choreographing. His style is a real mixture of ballet, hiphop, jazz, contemporary and acting. The discrepancy between the three works was extreme. The first piece, a delightful romantic Valentine's day collaboration. Whimsical and easy to watch. The 2nd, boring. An example of seeing the process of contemporary moves on stage and looked like dance school warmups. Also, dancers trying to do serious acting, meaningful offers is uncomfortable to see.
But the third piece was by far the best. An amalgamation of all styles. Real frisson between performers and music. It made me think heaps about how the meeting of different rhythms really brings excitement, conflict, interest. For example in this dance work, they had popping and locking during a beautiful classical piece. I now am thinking about the conflict, the beats, the actions in the Shakespeare and the difference between my two characters in Civilisation. I want to create movement in the audience. That's where my thoughts are at for the week.
So, after I finish this post, I'm gonna get dressed, do some script writing, then script analysis and go to the gym. Boys have gone off to Gay Pride Weekend in Denver so I'm gonna catch up. And I feel really, really good about it.
After the show last night, we went out dancing at the Ghost Ranch Saloon. WHICH WAS GREAT! Hiphop night, I popped (my knee out) locked (my neck) and boogied my body all night long. My only whinge is that I don't have a girl here with me who is on the same buzz as me in regards to going out being wingwoman for each other, on the search for fun dancing and nice guys. Sigh. It is a stupid moan, but it is a moan nonetheless. Martine, though great in many ways, is not my ideal going out person.
So there we are. I'm gonna go sort out some things now. Yessss.
No comments:
Post a Comment