The area
The People
Myself in this place
The plays
But that's OK - that's what this is for. To chronicle the journey, so to speak.
Monday was catching up on what it is we are doing. The two challenges in one exciting project: Piknik theatre festival. A free community event where a season of plays gets presented to the Colorado community, all players and audience do not pay nor get paid. It is a communal sharing of art and culture.
The Shakespeare this year is MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING, and I am playing Beatrice, one of the great roles. She's stroppy, intelligent, witty, brazen and very very brave.
And I'm nervous as heck, because of my own relationship to the play and the role. I have been remembering studying it at 6th form at St Mary's College - my wonderful English teacher Miss Bright; impassioned finding different ways for us to connect with the text. And of course I ended up falling in love with the themes, the romance, the anti-romance, the fool, and how it seemed so clear to an arrogant 15 year old then and somehow more complicated now! Why? Because I am an actress darling, and methinks my ego doth run rampant when contemplating the playing of Beatrice. There is also the added challenge of working with a largely amateur or fresh bunch of actors, engaging them while engaging myself. The responsibility is a good one, because I can most definitely learn from them and I hope I will do justice to them in leading them as well. It has been a wonderful experience so far, bringing my voice and movement training into warmups and rehearsals -leading the group. There is one guy who is very keen to do some one on one sessions as he is pursuing a voice over career. I really really like connecting with this work again. It has reminded me my voice is one of my stronger acting instruments, and I need to constantly keep in 'training'
The 2nd play is tentatively titled CIVILISATION, directed by Adam Donald, and last year, I found real pleasure in playing wonderful archetypal characters with great specificity. I knew I was a highlight because I was really invested in the play and in myself. My confidence was letting me experience new heights in performing. I have arrived this year in a different place emotionally, spiritually, yardyyarder, and we are not making the same play - though it is in the same vein. So I really want to work at specificity again. PHYSICAL Specificity, engaged movement. It is my weakness and it is something that I must, must, must invest in.
I recall performing in Giggles Live earlier in the year, as the deranged Naughty Fairy. It wasn't until I felt comfortable with the group that I started making offers, and once I'd nailed it, I got slightly slack in my warmup. I remember Aaron - the director - saying to me 'You need to make sure you do a great physical/vocal warmup Kate, because sometimes your body falls asleep'
As much as I was like 'Farrrk! I'm crap!' it makes total sense. I don't have a natural athletes body, I am a voluptuous lady who has not always been the same size. In the last ten years, my poor bod has changed dramatically. It is my responsibility to check in with it constantly and be aware of every muscle, every movement, myself in a space - in order for my instincts to be finely tuned and, in turn, make me a better actor.
Was it Christian Penny or Tom McCrory (probs both) who said at drama school 'The Actor is an Athlete' ie, we have to train in body, voice and as athletes of the heart and soul. It may sound naff, but I do get furious with myself when I become an idle actor. So, here is my rant explaining that - essentially - my routine is going to help not hinder my performance. And I'm going to get something fecking good going so I am ENGAGED back home. No more idleness for McGilly. Thank you. No sir.
Anyway... you-hoo - Mon night was Stuart's bday and he invited us around for a welcome party - with a great vego option this time - and bday party combined. It was lovely meeting locals both new and old to me, and I got really excited about their support and commitment to Piknik theatre. Katie West (my friend from last year) wasn't there but her good friend Tiana was, and it was great to meet her and Kurtis' brother Chris. In short - no one anyone who's reading this knows - but new people and old = good times. We rendered a heartfelt 'Happy Birthday' to Stu (why is it when I organise presents for people from a bunch of people, that I always end up having paid for 75% of it? WHY?! Maybe I should pass the buck... so to speak. Enough moaning)
Tuesday was a great rehearsal for Shakes with Adam (Benedick) - he and I worked on the play within the relationship, and the competition. It was quite telling actually, because, we both (I'm sure he'll disagree) are the kind of actors who want to win, but sometimes give up to easily. For example, we were playing a game with a rubber noodle, were we - essentially - had to smash each other up in order to win. And Stuart was great, 'don't back down!' said he. Which comes into this whole theme of idleness. There are so many actors in the world, and the idle ones do not have the best careers. The interested, risky, hardworking ones do.
Wednesday was kind of ridiculous, because we went down to Sunpies after our Shakespeare rehearsal - I blame Steve - the new guy in the cast. A good looking, part Venezuelan actor. Sunpies is a place that you have to be careful at, because it is a superbly fun atmosphere, with lots of cowgals and guys, music, a lawn and.... slurricanes. They are called slurricanes because, generally, after one, you end up slurring. In keeping with my less booze pledge, I only went for one. But we had a very late night, and I still didn't feel topshopdelight in the moro.
Adam and I were very glad (and he'd had more than I) that we had no Shakespeare rehearsal the next day, but we did have a Civilisation one. Which was not good, because 90% of the cast were feeling wretched and we had to change venues half way through. We are also in a fragile stage of development and devising a show with three worlds inside it (ala A Midsummer Night's Dream) set in NZ for an American audience is challenging. To say the least.
It was a good lesson in matching responsibilities with fun. And I know, that occasionally nights like that happen, but there is more of a risk of it here - because the desire to be social in a land we don't know is great. I'm pretty much writing this for my own benefit, so I don't do it all the time...
So Friday! We made very very good headway on Civilisation, as the cast had a stab at writing the opening scenes and some beautifully, lyrical, amusing and politically charged stuff came through. Everyone contributes something different. I, am getting wise on my writing style. I generally 'win' with the lead up to the absurd.
Here's a little section of something I wrote for a Londoner called Britta. Out of context, it might read strange, but agh well. It is NOT politically charged...
Think Martine McCutcheon in LOVE ACTUALLY.
She is a seamstress, gifting at combining the fashions from Britain with the native weave - it hasn't caught on yet, but Britta is a goodly soul, who tries to understand all about her surroundings. She has a small child with her, Pippin, whom she has raised, who everyone believes she has had out of wedlock, when she really adopted him from a roaming heathen circus. It is undecided whether Pippin is an imaginary child or not yet. Meant to be FARCICAL.
BRITTA
Entering, angry, but displaying it in a loose bodied, unco-ordinated manner "What a foppish git! Ooh! I’m sorry Pippin, but Aunty Britta has not had a pleasant afternoon. Firstly, I couldn’t sell any of my fine faux silks then I had a run in! With a man! Oooh, I’m seething. I’m seething I am! Seething! I simply can’t stand the ignorance of some people. Take note dear boy, not all the rich and wealthy are what they are cracked up to be.
And in a new land too! The cheek!
It is a simple place, and all we need to do is take encouragement from the people native to this land and find a way to work beside them, not against or for them. I learnt a new word today Pip. Kai. This apple is a kai. Isn’t that a stupendous word? Kai. It rolls off the lips and puffs out a little bit of air – can you say it darling? Kai?
I felt it was within my reasoning to let the people know what I know. These are steps to help us all, you see. So. When I simply informed the dear mayor Lord Rumpacheek of this new, sweet fact, he told me I had ‘no business’ – ‘No business!’ ‘In what?’ I exclaimed. ‘In matters of conversing with the indigenous, they are dangerous’ says he and then slaps me on the head with a fish! A fish, I ask you! And I said to him, ‘sir that is uncalled for behaviour, especially from the town’s mayor’ and he says ‘Would you like to be a fish wife?’ and then gaffaws, rather unnecessarily I thought.
What do you make of that my dear? A fish slapping right in the middle of the main street. I ‘ave never been so publicly insulted in my life.
Now, my sweet angel, I have a present for you. This here is play! It was written by the lovely Mr Terrence Philanderer. He is a good and kindly man, and he wants me to do costumes for his show! Imagine?! me!? A bonafide costumier! I’m feeling tingly just thinking of it. And he needs a small boy! To be in the play! Pip! You are going to be an actor!
What’s it about? Well, truth confessed, I ‘aven’t read it but I do believe it is a comedy of errors about what not to do in this fine land. Mr T is a goodly man, he will make sure it is entertaining and yet accurate."
Entering, angry, but displaying it in a loose bodied, unco-ordinated manner "What a foppish git! Ooh! I’m sorry Pippin, but Aunty Britta has not had a pleasant afternoon. Firstly, I couldn’t sell any of my fine faux silks then I had a run in! With a man! Oooh, I’m seething. I’m seething I am! Seething! I simply can’t stand the ignorance of some people. Take note dear boy, not all the rich and wealthy are what they are cracked up to be.
And in a new land too! The cheek!
It is a simple place, and all we need to do is take encouragement from the people native to this land and find a way to work beside them, not against or for them. I learnt a new word today Pip. Kai. This apple is a kai. Isn’t that a stupendous word? Kai. It rolls off the lips and puffs out a little bit of air – can you say it darling? Kai?
I felt it was within my reasoning to let the people know what I know. These are steps to help us all, you see. So. When I simply informed the dear mayor Lord Rumpacheek of this new, sweet fact, he told me I had ‘no business’ – ‘No business!’ ‘In what?’ I exclaimed. ‘In matters of conversing with the indigenous, they are dangerous’ says he and then slaps me on the head with a fish! A fish, I ask you! And I said to him, ‘sir that is uncalled for behaviour, especially from the town’s mayor’ and he says ‘Would you like to be a fish wife?’ and then gaffaws, rather unnecessarily I thought.
What do you make of that my dear? A fish slapping right in the middle of the main street. I ‘ave never been so publicly insulted in my life.
Now, my sweet angel, I have a present for you. This here is play! It was written by the lovely Mr Terrence Philanderer. He is a good and kindly man, and he wants me to do costumes for his show! Imagine?! me!? A bonafide costumier! I’m feeling tingly just thinking of it. And he needs a small boy! To be in the play! Pip! You are going to be an actor!
What’s it about? Well, truth confessed, I ‘aven’t read it but I do believe it is a comedy of errors about what not to do in this fine land. Mr T is a goodly man, he will make sure it is entertaining and yet accurate."
So. Yes.
That rehearsal was great, in groups of two - we came up with a Schema - a list of scenes to write from. And boy was that interesting. They went from very dark, to the ridick (me) and to actually quite moving.
Last night, I went downtown and splurged on a $30 moisturiser. Hear me out though - Estee Lauder. Large size. With fecken nice free gift! I was well pleased. So, I'll go without coffee next week. For the best anyway!!
I met up with Steve, Adam, Felix and Si and we retrieved Martine and went to Strawberry Park hotpools.
My oh my, I forgot how idyllic, peaceful, truly stunning that place was. You are in natural hotpools, looking up into the vast night sky with the opposite stars and framed by alpines. I just stared and stared and stared for hours. When I got home, I clambered into my double King bed and slept so sound.
And that's where I'm going to leave you for now. I'm off on a whitewater rafting trip. I am terrified. But also excited to be living life to the full and having the experiences I am having.
Until Sunday! xxx
No comments:
Post a Comment