I leapt around, jumping for the high friz's and working up quite a sweat.
Alex's aunty Mary, a 7 foot tall woman, arrived with her brood and Joy took the ladies to Lucy's room to show us the most ridiculous hats she's bought for her son's wedding in September. Oh Lordy, they were like bowling hats with different shades of brown silk, flowers, and ruffles. So much fun. But then Joy is so much fun. However.... I wouldn't be wearing it to a wedding.
Because they're big meat eaters, they had made a feast of BBQ Elk for themselves, and got me a 'special' cut of salmon.
Even before it was cooked, I knew it was not the freshest fish from the sea. And the next day.... Well, let's just say I stayed home for a while.
However, it was a great night, we sang songs around the bonfire, drank wine and I stayed over - all and all a lovely evening.
Now, I'm gonna go back a bit.
Sunday night we had a lovely party to say thanks and too-roo to everyone. I got a bit choked up. It was at Anna's house-same as last year and I got lost in the memory of the absolutely most romantic night of my life which was at the same venue, same themed party 2010. It was a little intense, but I pulled myself together and we had a lovely night.
On Monday after everyone left, M'Tang and I were excited to be going horseriding with Gretchen. She picked us up in the arvo and we brushed two beautiful horses. Marshall and Cowboy. Marshall was the more cheeky of the two, and of course, he was the one I rode. These are horses that are not ridden often and Marshall was none too impressed to have my dainty self lumber on top of him. However, we bonded and soon I was trotting around the field, not a care in the world.
(I had been reading the Horse Whisperer at the time and was a tad trepidatious)
It was a lovely feeling, having the big strong beast carry me.
I demounted and off we went to Gretchen's where she had a kinda surprise. A ride on a speedboat! With her husband. And an ageing Scotsman. Ohhhh a little awkward when his friend asked how we knew Gretchen. Imagine 'Oh we hang out with the boyfriend she's keeping secret from everyone!'
It was actually fantastic. And I got to see a part of Steamboat I had not seen before. Very fast swishing by. So much fun.
Alex picked us up and me met Steve at Mazzola's for a glorious dinner (YUMMMY RISOTTO!) and champagne. Martine's last day and night was a goodie I think. We went home and played Circle of Death. Oh dear. Then all went to sleep.
I had one more day and night at the condos, and because of some severe period pain, got DVDs fruit, cornchips and avocado and chilled the expletive out. Twas very nice.
Right back again from Laramie.
On the Friday night, I did a 'Thank you dinner' and cooked Stuballs, Gretchen, Stu's sister and Alex a MEGA meal.
Entree: Caprese Salad, Famous Guac, French Cheese and Hot Bread.
Main: Stirfried couscous salad, Greek salad, Huge Californian Fish with chilli, coriander, lime and lemon
Dessert: Peach, Pomegranate and Chocolate Gelato.
I don't think I'd been so full in a year. There were only 5 people. What was I thinking?!!
Frisbee - of course - followed. And thank goodness. We could barely breathe.
Then I managed to persuade Alex to come out and meet Katie, Chris and Tiana with me - which I am so glad about because we had THE BEST TIME. I danced the night away - drank mojitos and met a whole bunch of lovely people!
The next day was lax - some reading in the sun then met Eva for lunch which ended up being an afternoon of fabulousness! We had Bananominom in the sun, then saw HORRIBLE BOSSES (Ok - a bit B Grade - some fab performances from Jen Aniston and Colin Farrell) then I biked down to Walmart to stock up on super cheap makeup (honestly a bottle of foundation is $40 at home - exactly the same $9.99 here!!) and went up to Susie Jackson's for a quick cookout. Did not stay for the food - just popped in to say cause it was Beth's birthday! Then TV and leftovers at Stuarts.
The day after (who knows when that was) I used my foot massage voucher from my birthday - OH MY is that gonna be a regular occurance or what?! I could just feel them kneading out my worries and my stress. After walking around as if I were stoned for about an hour afterward, I met Anna and Eva for yet another movie (I know but they are FREE!!!)
'Crazy, Stupid, Love' is the best film I've seen all year. Just wonderful. Charming. Dramatic but amusing. Super performances. (Go and see it Mum!) It made me think about 'Darryn Exists' which I have not seen yet. And I find it very stressful that I haven't-all these people judging me (good or bad regardless) just as I judge performances in EVERYTHING I see. At least if I'd seen it I could reflect on it with people!! I guess I was just doubting myself a little.
But just as I was getting silly, I got this message from Sophie Roberts, who does not dish out praise on a regular basis : oi you, i saw your movie in he film fest yesterday and you were BRILLIANT! I was much impressed with you my lovely one xxx, so there you go!
Yesterday, Alex took me on a hike - and by gum I nearly had an asthma attack. It was so worth it though. We got to the top and looked out over the vastness of the Rocky Mountains.
I am lucky to have these experiences. I am lucky to have these friends.
Back at Stuart's, I gussied up, Alex took me for dinner at his fave Mexican place then we went to Mahogany where everyone I know left in Steamboat came to have a drink and say too-roo for now. Like I said. Lucky.
The last of the evening was spent - you guessed it - Frisbee-ing, then listening to music, talking in Russian accents and hanging with Alex.
Right now, I am sitting surrounded by Texans, stinky food and a herd of flies at Denver Airport. And I still feel lucky.
No comments:
Post a Comment