Saturday, August 13, 2011

My 100th post! Pop the Champagne!

Hey hey from LA - this'll be quick. To be honest I'm doing it so I don't wrack up the days and have to spend an entire day writing the last 2 weeks!!
But this is my 100th post on McGill Does The World! Cause for celebration! That shows commitment!! Huzzah!
Let me just write first off; I LOVE IT here! If only I had a car I could spend my days tootling around happily! (Not relying on my dear dear friends)

GOALS:
Being around Jess and Charlotte makes me think intensely about ambition and goals. And I've realised from watching Jess in action, what discipline it takes to achieve the things you want in life.
I'm talking lifestyle changes here. Pondersome.

LAS VEGAS:
We set off for Las Vegas late last Thursday night. I emt Jimmy from NZ and the attractive but probably gay Mexican Kevin ('Kevin'!! Very Hispanic!) got in the vehicle and did the 4 hour mish to Las Vegas stopping at an IHOP along the way (International House of Pancakes - where I couldn't bring myself to order anything but a side salad) and we were off again, playing Florence and the Machine and others. Around 1am (and after several false alarm cheering for Mini-Vegas') we arrived at our destination - The Hilton Hotel. The most incredibly tacky, 90s hotel you ever saw. It was like being on an episode of Baywatch and going to a retreat... Not that I was complaining - it was free - but it really was hilarious. Vegas is the epitome of contradiction - it sells itself on being a 24/7 party but when there's people, by themselves, playing the pokies at 8 in the morning, something is sordid and the twisted underbelly of cigarette smoke and broken dreams looms heavily. Not that I got involved in that - I played $5 and won $12. And LEFT it there. Self restraint people.
We wombled up to the pool deck in the morning and I stayed there for hours in 108' heat. HOLY MOLEY. It was nice though - just dry, Greece-like heat. I persuaded Chaz to take me to the outlet store and nearly (and I'm still regretting this a week later) bought an amazing photography camera for $600 - it was more than twice the price in NZ. Oh Whyyyy didn't I? But I bought 2 silk tops for $40. Chaz spent almost 1000, and I realised I'm lucky to have a mum who taught me to look for quality cheap things. Hahaha. No, she bought lovely things - but all I could think was 'You could get those jeans at Glassons for $50!' She did buy a gorgeous Calvin Klein jacket, and I was jealous as!
Back at the hotel, the boys had gussied up for the PeepShow Charlotte had arranged tickets for. The monorail took us to Paris Hotel - which was a miniature Paris and SO SO cute. Mini Eiffel towers, a replica of the Arc de Triumph, cute patisseries and cafes. I loved it. Such a novel thing. At Planet Hollywood, we had fusion MExican - absolutely divine and then went to the Peepshow. Holly Madison, the 'headliner' cannot perform to save herself. Luckily everyone else was incredible otherwise a total waste of time. There was a faaaabulosu sequence in a milk bathtub with babeing men I'm going to attempt to replicate! And all too 'MilkShake' by Kelis, also a stunningly brave contortionist who performed alongside the wonderful, talented, Jason Chasland-esq Josh Strickland - He knew how to win the crowd back. The only thing Madison knew how to do was sing and she only sang one song - I am baffled how someone that placid and unfocussed can headline a $110 a ticket Vegas show for almost 2 years. Baffled. She was crap. Kevin got on stage with her and it made his night.
We met her afterwards. And poor girl, I realised she was shy. Very very shy. But a playboy bunny girl thing. Oh I dunno - the whole experience was odd and awkward.
Afterward, we headed to the beauteous Bellagio and watched the fountains in their famous firework-esq display shoot into the sky all to the tune of the star spangled banner.
Charlotte was exhausted and went hotelbound. But the boys and I, we wanted to dance! We were in Vegas afterall! I managed to score some free passes to the hottest club in town, and instead of paying $60 on the door, we slid in, I got a free drink and we danced in this hilarious club called le Chateau.
To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment