I was gussied up like Big Bird in my delightful yellow dress and I had a grand time.
The next day, Chaz and I were obsessed with going on the gondolas in the Venetian. We rocked down there and bought our tickets for 5 hours later (they are surprisingly popular... well it is a fake Venice river....) and then made the call to go to the Hoover Dam.
Farrrrrk was it amazing. About a half hour drive from Vegas and you get to stand on the border of Arizona and Nevada and look at this vast machine that thousands of men put together, died for and actually something that not only powers four states but saved lives as well. The Dam was made during the depression and was the only work for miles. It paid well and it made a difference to the livelihood of so many people.
Once I had finished being moved by this knowledge, Jimmy and I made a series of characters on a camera - all of whom were irritating touristy people.
But loads of fun... it may end up on You Tube.
Oh sucky info. Not only has my computer broken. My camera broken. NOW my iPhone is broken. I am very, very, very pissed off. All of the things I use on a daily basis. I definitely hit the wall when that happened.
Back in the Vegas region, Charlotte and I went on the Gondola
Look here https://www.gondolaphotos.com/products.aspx?email=kjmcgill@gmail.com

Or here - very cute!
It was lovely - the babe in the background wooed me with his authentic Italian singing and we giggled and even got souvenir items!!
The others were all exhausted and piked on Saturday night - but I wasn't having it - I'd been told that Ka by Cirque du Soleil was amazing so I missioned down there, got a ticket - using I am a student from New Zealand schtick and then roamed the very impressive MGM Grand. Beautiful. Much more spaced out than other hotels and casinos, full but not squashed in horrible. I decided to treat myself to a lovely meal and plonked myself at the bar of the famous Wolfgang Pucks. A gorgeous salad and NZ wine sat in front of me and I watched passers by, chatted to the wait staff, the couple next to me and when they forgot my vegetables, I got another glass of wine and the first one on the house! So it didn't end up being expensive in the end. Thank goodness.
Ka was SUPERB. The epitome of what it means to be a great ensemble. A sort of modern day twist on the Ming Dynasty - it was amusing, action packed, cute, mind boggling, SUCH high production values. Made me briefly bitter about the lack of in NZ
See the trailer http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/en/shows/ka/default.aspx

It brought home to me the training that Tom McCrory did with me about suspending disbelief through a series of specific movements.
I did a class at Stella yesterday, the only good thing that really came out of it was the 'Physical Comedy' section. It was the 'problem of the chair'
It was various moves to get one on the chair, but failing at it in a clear and specific way makes the audience laugh.
Anyway, Ka blew my mind and not even the annoying lone, crazy, chatty woman next to me could distract me from the brilliance of it.
The next morning we checked out and got stuck in an epic traffic jam that took us 7 hours to get home instead of 4. Charlotte and I went to a movie at AMC Century City and we chilllllled!
I spent the next few days at Jess' which was so good! Because, I don't want to be in Charlotte's hair all the time - and she feels like she has to constantly entertain me - which she doesn't and we end up having cute squabbles. Jess had things on - auditions and the like - so I was able to roam around, walk the dog, go to LACMA.
Which brings me to my next point - the Tim Burton exhibit and Modern art at LACMA. It was the hottest day, and I decided to walk down the half hour stretch of road to get there - by the time I got to the coolness of the Los Angeles County Museum of Art I had broken a sweat and looked vile. The woman took pity on me and gave me $2 off my fare and off I trotted around the space, trying to find the fecking exhibit - which - at this point - I had lost all interest in!
And THEN I found I had to wait an hour to get in - so I thought FECK THIS! And headed up to the modern art where I immediately forgot my worries and was taken in by the complexities of American modern artists. It was the first museum I've been in where all the modern art is not wanky shapes symbolising the war. (There was one room of that but I bypassed it)
I was completely transfixed on this one of this Afro-American woman entitled 'She's not a ho'
And then again transfixed on the guy transfixed on the same painting. This is when I got my urge to photograph again and started subtly pulling out Charlotte's digital device....
After about an hour and a half of this, I happily trotted down to Tim Burton's exhibiton.
Tim Burton. WOW. http://www.lacma.org/art/exhibition/tim-burton
At first, I was like, yeah, lala - but is this art? Is it just celebrity? etc etc.
Then I started looking at the progression of drawings, the detailed notes to himself, to his designers. The man is a modern genius.
He is not obsessed with creepola things. Much more obsessed with the mundane, ordinary and how people can be chameleon. Which is why I think he uses Johnny Depp so much - he is a man who is always a bit peculiar but so much so that he has become ordinary!
Must continue later! Have to zip off!
Next addition is auditions and classes and Universal!
Bisous!
No comments:
Post a Comment