Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Leaving Steamboat

Riding, Wheels Blazing
Down Mt Werner Road.
No Helmet, hair soaring
With a toothy grin defining my otherwise round face.
The sun:
Heating up my skin, coercing beads of sweat
Down my forehead
Past my shades
And onto my nose and mouth.
Salty.
The sun:
Gloriously present until the deep black cloud surfaces
Makes its way - Both Cheeky and Menacingly toward me
Uh-huh.
Another storm.
I hoon past the abandoned barn,
Sports Authority,
The Movie Theatre -
Gunning it to the bike track down by the river.
Here - my legs ache, my breathing's clean, I get ALL hopeful
And I pop out right by the hot springs.
You know. Those ones? Where I've bathed so many times?
Oh! Your town!
Your beautiful town!
Dusted with SkiTown posters, floral arrangements, clean bricks
And some of the best people I've met. Period.
You've given me home for two months.
Summer!
Steamboat.
Yampa curse.
I'll come home again.

No comments:

Post a Comment