Saturday, June 12, 2010

And so it is...

The interesting thing about doing a Shakespeare in America with a New Zealand accent is that the language is already foreign, therefore the challenge is in making it clear to an American Audience.
We are working with people of different backgrounds with very different skills and it is frustrating sometimes to get across knowledge about Shakespeare without patronising - because everyone is in a different boat when it comes to that and we only have 3 weeks of 2hour long rehearsals to put it on! Some people are very relaxed because it is unpaid, community theatre, it is for 'fun' - but I want to put on a show I am proud of. I'm excited to perform Shakespeare to people who might not have seen it before and I want them to like it!! I want to do a great job with Helena - she is challenging. Ensembles always fascinate me.
The COLONISATION piece with Adam, I'm very engaged in. It has the same problem of something foreign trying to transcend to an American audience. And be aware that most people here either don't know where NZ is or think we are part of Australia.
But he's been very clever in saying the people we are really showing are the English and Irish in the context of New Zealand colonisation. So, the aim is to have parallels that the American's can identify with, but that really comes from us.
It is very funny, bawdy and silly but dealing with some huge issues that we are still facing in NZ. I like the humour because it's testing what we are comfortable with. And Adam, Brony, Tane and I all go extreme first, which is great, because then we can pull it back because we've got a largely conservative audience.
So I have been writing and writing and writing which explains why I haven't been writing here.
We have all joined the gym, which is fantastic, I went there yesterday on a hangover but felt instantly better afterward... go figure.
We have spent days walking around, meeting the locals, basking in the summer air.
-Though I gotta say, this morning it is howling wind and there was thunder, lightning and rain last night - anyway. On thursday night, we decided we were all hungry around 10pm and Steamboat is small, so hardly anywhere open. And we'd had a beer or two so we got our gladrags on and traipsed off up the hill to the resort which was like a Ghost town, we carefully made our way around in the dark then just as we were giving up, we heard a faint laughter and clink of glasses in the background. And being New Zealanders, and generally a bit curious/adventurous, we followed it and found a funny little VIP club that had a smallish group of hospo types milling around inside. It looked so nice in there...
In we lurched, thrilled at the possibility of dinner and wine.
The bar tender was so sweet, re opened the kitchen for us and GREAT quality, cheap vege wraps and corn slices came our way and the house wine? None other than Montana (rebranded to something like Breakrock) Special Reserve Sauvignon Blanc. We were well pleased. Not only that, but we became best friends with the owner, Michael, who bought us a shot and wants us to get back there for the DJ and GoGo dancers on Tuesday. I am so there.
We made a dance floor, Beyonce played, and a catwalk ensued. It was divine.
Em rocked up to some locals and started chatting, then we all joined. And the next thing I know, I was left alone with one of them, a nice guy, while the others went outside to hang with the smokers. Now, I was a bit slow, perhaps the wine, perhaps just a bit slow. But they were totally setting me up. Hilarious. And the funny thing was, the guy totally started hitting on me in a naff, cheesy kind of way, which unfortunately put me right off. 'Shall we go outside and look at the stars. You wont see any prettier stars than in Steamboat. Well, maybe...' Looking directly into my eyes. Sweet but um? Are you kidding me?
Ha.
Today we were meant to launch into a hike but the weather is too shite and dangerous. So, a day of line learning and maybe go on the gondolas. By the bye, the only crap thing about the heat here is that my hair has turned into a complete fuzzball, seriously thinking about giving it a massive chop... we shall see.
Finally a note of excitement, Ian, this lovely American dude, is in COLONISATION and we have just found out he is a hardcore commercial pilot with DELTA. Because of the f**kups with the volcano in Iceland and the recession, he is on call but mainly tutoring at the moment... But, he said he could fly us all to Vegas for a weekend!!! We would only have to contribute to petrol!!!
Now, this'd be scary as, because it is one of those freaky deaky 8 seater planes, but we'd fly over the Grand Canyon and into Las Vegas people. Oh my!!
Liking the idea heeeeaaapppsss.
Ok, I'm going to post some pictures separately as the blog is having mild conniptions. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment