Some thoughts: Over the Beaten Track is the charming bookstore where Skiers and Mountain rangers go and quietly (which is so weird for Americans) read, sip lattes or mostly iced coffees. Hung out with Mark Twain and Abe Lincoln
Food is quite weird. A lot v processed - cheese is a very strange colour. I went for a major walk yesterday around the main drag of downtown. Then came back and hung out at the condo with the frens' and got ready for a bit of community time...
Last night we had the most incredible feast at Stuart Handloff's (director) Special ordered in BBQ meat with massive ribs and pork and beef cutlets with the most tasty sauce... though I am seriously thinking about cutting out red meat from my diet.... We also had a wine or two, which affects us so much more than back home. The altitude here is insane. Walking anywhere makes you feel asthmatic but not in a hideous way, you just have to breathe more.
We met new Bffs - Katie - and a whole bunch of folk from around here, some involved in am-dram, some not. Stuart really has worked so hard to get this whole thing working as a cultural exchange holiday. It's really very cool.
Then back home we stopped off and I can't believe how cheap spirits are here! The whole group bought a bottle of Canadian Club and we had CC and Drys in the spa. I had one on account of wanting to look at lines. Despite intense tiredness. 3 hours sleep. So going to have a siesta shortly...
Em and I went on a glorious walk today. All down through the valley and to some shops where I got a $2.50 chicken salad and Emma splashed out somewhere fancy (I'm all for saving my pennies for NYC, however, we have just found out we can get 2 nights accommodation and flights to Las Vegas for $300... tempting)
I've never been to Queenstown, but I imagine that Steamboat is quite similar.
Today, we had rehearsal for the two shows I'm in. I am so thrilled to be playing Helena in Midsummers. What a delightful challenge.
And Adam Donald is directing a piece called COLONISATION: A GENTLEMAN"S GUIDE which is being devised by us.
So I think I have two major challenges, one with the Shakespeare in making fresh Helena's text as I can imagine how other actors have done it before which is limiting me. So I am about to start a rigorous text methodology block for myself. As - even though this is free theatre and 'fun' - I want to work internationally and want to be able to communicate in a new and ballsy way.
With devising, it's really about fitting in with the style. I didn't enjoy the last production of Adam's so much. I rate him highly, but I want to pose questions to the group without breaking what they have set up already.
I want to make bold offers, strong choices and really bring something into the fold. (They've been working on it for a while)
With this particular piece I am curious as to how we are going to engage our audience in the material. We are performing to American's who are coming up in family groups to have a picnic and to watch a bit of free entertainment. We are dealing with huge NEW ZEALAND issues in a light way. But seeing as people here think NZ and Australia are the same thing and their only concept of colonisation is the movie Australia... we have to create some well thought out parallels.
So that's where I am at now. A siesta, then some text meth, then some reading, then cooking a vege feast.
Mucho love xo
No comments:
Post a Comment