Tonight I had the privilege of seeing a dance piece choreographed by Nicholas Villeneuve - a beautiful, camp Jamaican/New Yorker. He is a professional and he brought 3 other professional dancers to perform alongside these young cads.
The first three pieces were nothing to write home about. Especially a piece involving a dancer that looked distinctly like Mowgli off The Jungle Book about a horse. I hated that.
However, the last two pieces were the most astonishingly beautiful works. One, a response to Egyptian art, clever, witty, sexy. And the 2nd about the fear of dying, made after Nicholas' dear friend's mother had passed of a brain tumour. The most moving thing about it was the addressing of all the feelings of grief and fear. The positive and negative lights. And it was the final piece and wonderfully was a superb amalgamation of the ensemble coming together, sharing with the audience, with a strong purpose and playing with form... actually, coincidentally, they used flour, which I am using in my solo....
Anyway, just wanted to respond to the work. Very pleased I saw it.
No comments:
Post a Comment