Wednesday, June 2, 2010

more

Tectonic is a company I have been following since I was 19 and in THE LARAMIE PROJECT, which they made from a series of verbatim interviews with people in Laramie, Wyoming following the hate crime killing of Matthew Shepherd. It is a company whose values and art I hold in the highest regard and it is a huge honour to be spending time in the rehearsal room, running errands, making props, etcetera.


The USA is somewhere I connect with and yet feel so distanced from. The whole schtick there behind process (in any job) is vastly different from NZ. A lot more competative. Sometimes good, sometimes bad.
I think there is a laziness that sometimes comes into my work. Usually in lack of specificity.


One other challenge I am setting for myself is to keep touching base with how I'm feeling. I was reminiscing the other day about self assessments when I was at Toi Whakaari. This is when you assess your performance and process, then go into a room and go over it with your tutors. It suddenly dawned on me that the only reason I got overwhelmed and would often have a cry in assessments was because people were asking 'How are you doing Kate?" and I didn't really know because I charged ahead moving onto the next thing before I had time to 'assess' what I had learnt and how it affected me as a normal everyday person and as an artist.


No comments:

Post a Comment