Monday, June 14, 2010

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - AS YOU LIKE IT - Will Shakespeare


Editing is so important! Taking the knife to Shakespeare is always terrifying because a lot of his metaphors only are completed after about three paragraphs, and when you have Oberon whittling on for ages, you want to do some cut'n'pasting. But some of my Helena lines have been cut to the point where I don't think they make a lot of sense, they certainly don't follow the iam.

Today, I am taking time out after rehearsals and doing a shite load of writing, as tiredness and annoyance is present in me - thus I am taking a breath and getting it out in a productive way. My solo, based around my French Great Grandmother keeps popping up, but it is mildly infuriating because I am thinking in images and scenes, not in story. I know why I'm making it, but I have no concept of where the story could go. Every time I try and force it, it becomes naff and cheesy... not at all ideal.
I have been thinking about Tectonic Theater Project and how they organised hundreds of interviews, thousands of minutes of material into a two hour long show with strong structure. So, perhaps, I need to settle down and keep collecting material. Like with my solo at drama school. I spent the last week of that process moving chunks around.
I don't have a time limit on this project. I don't have a slot at a theatre. I can make my own rules.
So, that's my next challenge - setting rules for myself. One page of anything a day for 'Aujourd'hui' (working title) that can be a page of writing, doodles, images. And then I will go through with my production team and then... the next step.

It's snowy, rainy here in Steamboat and things are a little tense at the condos. Illness is rife with some others. So, I'm enjoying soup and coffee in my favourite little coffee shop 'Off the Beaten Track' and then off to get more postcards and stamps. The quote in the title is felt.
He he he.

No comments:

Post a Comment