Oh the happiest place on earth!!
Valentine's day on a snowing, biting winter's day in Paris. Oliver and I threw ourselves out and into the cold to meet Guy and Marieke (a Dutch girl who's at Gaulier too) I bought us a Valentine's gift and we leap on to the RER A to Disneyland... I could not contain my excitement! Absolutely beside myself with glee! Walking up Mainstreet USA -which made me feel like I was on set of a particularly decadent film- colours pastel, fairybulbs everywhere. The Gibson Girl Parlour was old fasioned and stunning and the toy stores were old school Disney and made me feel superbly reminscent of my childhood.
Oli and Marieke didn't have tickets so Guy and I ventured out into Adventureland, into Davy Jones' cave and onto the Pirates of the Caribbean ride.... the ride to come though was BRILLIANT! Waiting in line, Guy and I made up a filthy one word at a time story which kept us thoroughly amused for the hour long wait to get on..... SPACE MOUNTAIN! For those who don't know, it's pretty much a high-super-thrilling speedy rollercoaster in the dark. My eyes were shut for 50% of the time. It was exhilaratingly freaky. Afterwards, I couldn't control my wonder and joy and giggled for about 10mins straight. Checkout Guy's blog akiwiinparis.blogspot.com to see amusing video of me. I am filled with a notion about how you could incorporate a ride into a show. What an ultimate thrill!
Guy then forced us to go on the Honey I shrunk the Audience ride, which, let's face it, was completely naff. Before the "Ride" we had to endure about 20 minutes of terrible, terrible American Kodak ads. Then got 'shrunk' lame. Guy deserves a snout for that one.
Big Thunder, Peter Pan's Ride, Indiana Jones - all the other rides were fab.
The teacups ride was so sweeet!! I've always dreamed on going on the Disney teacups. Marieke felt dizzy, Guy and Oli nearly threw up. I was just stoked.
Aside from the totally incredible Space Mountain, the Star Wars ride was just pure pleasure. You get belted into these seats and get thrust around hitting 'space rocks' etc. Only downfall was Oli's camera went missing after that. Boo.
It's a small world was actually just a pretty small minded world. The NZ contingent was a tiny little Maori woman doll doing what appeared to be the men's haka. Someone does their research.
Buzz Lightyear was great, I nearly bet Guy shooting down aliens. Lost by a few points. He probably cheated though.
At night, the park was easily the most romantic place I've been (in terms of man made expense-I still get moved by sunsets in Owhiro Bay) Lights filling areas in different colours, with fairytale architecture and a common feeling of delight. A unique experience, because it's very rare to go somewhere and see people of all ages experiencing sheer delight. Expressions of wonder filling the entire park. Quite special.
A final go on Space Mountain, where I kept my eyes and mouth completely open the whole time as we flung past planets and zoomed through flashing lights. I. Just. Loved. It.
Disney Village as we exited the park was full of people munching on food and downing beer and wine. We sat down for a wee drink and then onto a PARTY.
Guy and Oli's friends from school were such an amazing group of people. Part of me wishes I was doing the course too - but I may do it later, who knows? Aretha the hot Spaniard was hopping about, Balthazar (Phillipe G's son) was DJing, Charming Ingeborg was dancing up a storm in suspenders and a bright yellow shirt and in the kitchen I was engaged in conversation with a very impressive, no nonsense Gaylene Preston-like woman from Canada - she was very cool. A playwright who got a grant from the Canadian council to get experience at Gaulier. My absolute favourite was an insane, drunk, deathly funny Japanese woman who didn't speak a lot of English. She kept looking at me and saying "I am kooky! You know?"
Connor the Irishman I took a shine too, but after what felt like a short amount of time - I realised the Metro was shutting.
We rushed down to the station only to hear the last train leaving.
It was a bus night home in Paris. Back at Madame Dartigues at half 3, I was exhausted, a little grumpy but fulfilled. I had a great day! Childhood dreams come true and meeting of wonderful folk in a wonderful place.
No comments:
Post a Comment