Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ooh Lavaur, I shall miss the farm

Last day working on the farm today and great success! I cleared 5 hedges - massive hedges... farm hedges. Cleared the property of wood, and branches and have made huge bonfires!
It was beautiful weather here as well, of all the days I've spent in Les Combelles Theatre de L'Improviste, only one day has been overcast. The warmth! I was flouncing around today in an oversized singlet, a 60s headband (essential for iPod usage) and trackies with me new and improved gloves. I looked a treat. The French men were a running! (Away...!)
This afternoon I did some solo writing outside, then interviewed Bruyére on Playback Theatre-which I knew nothing about. The talkhas really got me interested. I thought Playback had more of a psycho drama component which I'm not so wired into but the communities stories being brought alive before thier eyes-well, I think that's an incredible gift.
Bru told me a story about a Playback theatre she and her troupe were doing a few years ago in a town in France (not her town, I forget where) where they'd had a huge influx of refugees in recent times. The town was in a debacle of whether to accept these refugees or not.
The theatre was full and there was a group of said refugees in the dark in the orchestra pit. Bruyére was the Conductor and somehow, after some time performing, she managed to get an African woman to stand up on stage and tell her story in broken French. The result was mindblowing. The town reacted in such a way. A new generous way because now they had some insight, some understanding of why their town was needing to host these people. The performance was average said Bru, not the point, it was this woman sharing and the communion between the public and the refugees.
Amazing stuff. So you can change the world bit by bit with this art. Exciting.
I feel so pleased to have come here, it is certainly not what I expected but I have learned a great deal and think every day has been necessary in its own little way towards the progression of my skills as an actress.
Tonight we're off to a French film LOL in French. Very good for me. Must learn language. Am picking more and more up as days go on, I can understand really well, just replying and stringing words together myself Im not so crash-hot on.
I heard back from my friend's Julia and Jerémy, so I will meet them in Toulouse tomorrow night. I am going in with Jean-Pierre to help with a table then staying at a cheap hotel. Tomorrow morning I have insisted J-P perform Kate from the Shrew in French in the Theatre so I can film it so I can keep practising. He finds me very amusing. How can I do this without being fluent in French? he asks.
No idea. But I'm having fun trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment