Saturday, February 21, 2009

A little bit of this and that

"I have to admit that I prefer comedy to drama because making people laugh is a noble challenge. A comedian has to forget his own pain and turn himself into something for others." - Jean Reno

My night in Toulouse was hilarious - from the velo ride to the moments before I went to bed. Char works at a pub called the Frog and Robif, an English/French pub, where I met all her friends. A lively bunch, it was mildly awkward for the first 10 minutes because their lack of English and mine of French was the very 1st lost in translation time I'd really experienced. Soon we were getting on like a house on fire! Katya, Char's 1st AD on her film was a hoot, regaling me with stories about the hiphop dance festival she administers, I then showed her my krumping skills, which was a definite point of hilarity - we were throwng back fraise shots and ginger beer followed by quatre fromage pizza and more beer. Amelie and I talked about the hot boys in the pub and she gave me filthy French phrases to shout at them, and I did English with her. She had a boyfriend; but no harm we thought!
Everyone and I mean everyone does the double sided kiss in Toulouse. It's so funny, it's even more common than a handshake _ it literally goes with saying hello to someone.

Julia, an American- French girl turned up with her friend Jeremy (beautiful but very gay), yay, said I, English language! We three ended up getting along so well, I was going to go to a late night movie with them and stay with Julia instead of Soaziq (Swa_zeek, i kept calling her shos-stak _ very embarrssing. very shy girl) but Char had gone to so much trouble finding me somewhere to stay I decided to stick with the original plan.

(Soaziq had given me a behind the scenes tour of Musée Augustins in Toulouse earlier in the day _ WOW! What the dont put out to show is such an experience, such a waste sitting behind closed doors for years)

We left late and went on to another club briefly before going home to bed in a tiny little studio apartment, Soaziq was chattering away in broken English and eventually I fell asleep as she drunkenly slippedinto French

An 8am start and I started to explore Toulouse, all red bricks, the rose city. I got extremely lost, but it was no bother. I meandered around - sat for an hour and a half nursing one cup of coffee and a croissant writing masses of postcards. The eventually found a metro and went to town where sending a box of my clothes back to NZ is not nearly as expensive as I thought... I have truly learned my lesson about packing!

I was throughly enjoying myself until it hit me that I have so much to do! I got on the train to Lavaur where I met Heather and eventually Jean-Pierre, who is an incredible man - they are an incredible duo. It has really made me sad that my French is so weak, because I could learn a lot off him.

In turn, my secondment here is really self motivated. There is not a lot I can do to help them beyond administrative types of things and even that is difficult because Id have to use a translation program on the computer. So, I will be mainly writing and researching my solo, bouncing off ideas with Heather. Annnnddd.... today I leanred that Jean_Pierre and I have the love of Shakespeare in common, so I may be learning some Shakespeare in French off Jean-Pierre, as he is a master of text. Kate from the Shrew I thought appropriate as I know the English version well and can make sense of it.

I have been musing on my solo and whether I want to extend on the work did with John Bolton or work from Verbatim, which I also am very interested in. My main focus is enjoyment, I do not want to worry about what I would normally worry about-dramatic structure, instead letting my director guide me with that. I like John's concept of events, that is a much more solid place for me to work from.

I will also be working on my research project (see bottom of page) as Heather is a teacher and maker of Playback theatre and has been doing it since her days with Le Coq.

Today, I have been gathering wood, branches and leaves from all over the farm and ptting them into a bonfire pile. Strenuous work. Good for me.

Jean-Pierre and I went to the local market where I bought a dashing red beret and chatted to Heather and JPs friends-Heather is a phenonenally good cook and had some soup ready for us when we got back.

Tonight I see the local circus _ Ooh lala! I can't upload any pictures from here but will when back in Paris.

A bientot!

My researh assignment below-if anyone can shed any light on some of my topic matter?? Any sources most helpful!!

Working Question WHAT IS THE ROLE OF VERBATIM WITHIN PERFORMANCE?

Abstract What I intend to uncover in my research is uncovering the Pros and Cons of Verbatim and how it can be used to benefit many (including the performer/s)I wish to unearth faults and advantages in the editing process and the difference between noting speech patterns and body language as opposed to performing the idea of a person through using their words. (An example would be The Laramie Project by the Tectonic Theater Company vs. Anna Deavere Smith's major works: Fire in the Mirror, Twilight) It is my intention to explain how Verbatim, when done in the former, can potentially take away a certain amount of ego from the actor and encourages and challenges him/her to be more aware of habitual patterns within themselves, break these habits, and be more present and connected within their work.To understand and present this clearly, I intend to research the concept of Verbatim and how that word translates to productions, with specific emphasis on its use in socio-economic and political theatre and how this form can create awareness around a situation. I will explore the idea of 'character' through this work and the power of spoken word and I wish to touch on community and playback theatre as a source as there are deep rooted connections between the two forms.I intend to have 4 main sources of research: 1) Through taking classes at New York University: Verbal Art as Performance: The Performed Story in Culture and Intercultural Performance: Ways of Seeing, I shall have significant material to draw from and a link to (2) Anna Deavere Smith's works which I will research though reading her books and approaching her, again, through email. 3) Interviewing and looking at New Zealander Miranda Harcourt's verbatim work in prisons. 4) Assessing the functions of Playback theatre through interviewing Christian Penny and Heather (Bruyere) Robb.

Research Plan Now – April - Examining Anna Deavere Smith's written works1

9-27 February - Interviews: Heather Robb

1-15 March - Lectures at NYU- Approaching Anna Deavere Smith and/or her assistant. 25-31 March - Approaching Christian Penny and Miranda Harcourt for interview times.- Reading Miranda Harcourt's work 'Verbatim' and examining sources in the Libraries (Victoria, Nola Miller, Wellington Public)

Now - - Collating material as I find it, drawing on links within the works whilst mapping out and refining research to make it thorough and clearly presentable.

No comments:

Post a Comment